Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel DD5v2 First Range Trip and Modifcations

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Daniel DD5v2 First Range Trip and Modifcations

I recently picked up a Daniel Defense DD5v2 (18" rifle gas) and shot it for the first time yesterday with a few other members here. I thought I would share my first impressions with the 18" rifle. When the 16" DD5v1 first came out I had the chance to shoot it and honestly was turned off by what I felt was excessive recoil for what it was. Fast forward to yesterday and my experience was pretty much the complete opposite. Max range yesterday was 100 yards and the only ammo I had was MEN762A and a couple boxes of surplus Hert. Scope used was a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 MIL-R, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Surefire muzzle brake, and (because I am a tinkerer and admitted KAC and LMT lover) I fitted it with a BCM A5 tube, H3 buffer, and Springco Red spring. Also changed out the furniture to a Magpul ACS-L and Ergo pistol grip.

Function: Rifle functioned 100% from round one. No failures. Suppressed and unsurpressed (Surefire SOCOM762-RC). No noticeable impact shift with the suppressor either. It was also one of the softest shooting 308 rifles I have shot, noticeably softer than the LMT MWS 16" I had before it. Mag release gave me no issues with P-Mags and one LaRue metal mag (though it was admittedly pretty stiff when I first got the rifle (especially with P-Mags, metal mags did better) but it smoothed out after 60-80 mag drops). Charging handle worked just fine and wasn't overly stiff like I have heard some complaints of. Also, with the suppressor on I didn't notice any gas to the face when shooting, which admittedly had been one of my worries given Daniels tendency towards over-gassing and not being able to use a "gas buster" style charging handle with the rifle. I was pleasantly surprised that gas wasn't an issue at all with the DD5v2.

Weight: Even with the 18" barrel the DD5v2 was very noticeably lighter than most 308 AR rifles I have handled. Easy to handle and felt more like a heavy barreled ar15.

Accuracy: Granted the ammo I shoot was military grade ball and certainly not match grade, the rifle still held within 2-3" on average with 5-10 round groups. I am admittedly not the greatest bench shooter so I am positive someone who is could have dropped an inch or more off that. I would expect the rifle to shoot moa or better with the proper ammo. Perhaps in the future I will shoot it for groups with some SMKs and update this post with some pics.

Before I get asked why I changed out the buffer tube, buffer, and spring, let me tell you. I changed them out for the same reason I put the A5 system on all my 5.56 rifles. The longer the spring you are able to use, the better the recoil becomes, and arguably reliability improves. KAC and LMT use the system they do for a reason. They are also the 2 manufacturers of 308 AR platforms with the largest number of rifles in military service. I'm sure the DD setup would have worked just fine, I personally just think the KAC/LMT setup is better. I did measure the stock setup against the setup I am now using and confirmed the travel length for the BCG remained the same.

All in all I am impressed with the DD5v2.

Last edited by Wolfpack45; 06-01-17 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I shot this rifle yesterday and can't believe how light recoiling it felt. DD needs to hurry up and release the M-Lok handguard version. I think my MWS may be up for sale shortly after that becomes available.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the review, I was looking at the DD5 and wondering about the 16' vs 18".

Big difference in recoil between my 18" DD PRO with the rifle length and my mid length BCM and carbine length sport II!
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I haven't had the chance to shoot one of the new 18" guns, but the two 16" ones I have tried were both very impressive to me recoil-wise for a .308. If the 18" one is that much better, then it sounds like I may need to look more seriously into it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also shot this rifle yesterday and was similarly impressed. As Slippers can attest, I have a 308 Stoner bolt/ejector fetish. The DD ejector arrangement is very well designed - two small diameter ejectors that minimally recess into the body of the lugs, which IMO likely results in a very strong bolt. I would like to pick up an 18" DD5 and send it to Marvin Pitts for barrel reprofile and chop to 16" to further lighten it. It is already quite light weight for what it is. I think DD has a great rifle.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 05-30-17 at 15:19.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Only so many ways to pull weight out of the full size .308 gassers. I bet the barrel is thin enough that a repro or dimples are counterproductive and minimally useful even 1 dimensionally. I have held the DD .308, and it's not a fat barrel.

Feedback Score
    I'm really interested into how they can evolve this product. Lots of interesting concepts to possibly look forward to.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Only so many ways to pull weight out of the full size .308 gassers. I bet the barrel is thin enough that a repro or dimples are counterproductive and minimally useful even 1 dimensionally. I have held the DD .308, and it's not a fat barrel.
    Its not fat at the muzzle, but it is a tapered profile that ends up really thick towards the chamber. Its very similar to the Daniel Strength-2-Weight profile you find on their "PRO" series 556 rifles.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I'm really interested into how they can evolve this product. Lots of interesting concepts to possibly look forward to.
    1) A normal CH. A compressed detent in the middle of a carbon flow path is clown shoes. Bushmaster tried it years ago and it didn't do too well then, either.
    2) The trigger guard needs to be more angular, a'la MOD 2 Hodge Defense or KAC. The rail is VERY angular, and the lower is very "soft". The gun doesn't "flow", aesthetically.

I really can't think of anything else to nitpick. The CH is a big one, though, for me.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, not so thrilled about the charging handle detent. There's a few other things that I would prefer to be different. Let's just see how this product evolves, it's still relatively new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast