Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Handle Fans Unite!

Feedback Score

Carry Handle Fans Unite!

I admit that, as my eyes age and I remember my dad's eventual inability to see iron sights effectively, I made sure that all of my M4's were the type with the flat top rail--not with a fixed carry handle.

Having said that, I plan to "stay current" with irons as much as possible, and so one of my BCM carbines has, and will continue to have, the good 'ol A2 sighted carry handle on it for old school practice purposes.

Much as I love my ACOG, and may one day buy another Aimpoint or Trijicon reflex sight, I always want to stay skillful with the irons as much as possible.

It's a good prepper move, I think.

1. In a SHTF scenario, you could break your optic no matter how careful you are or how robust it is.
    2. In the case of electronic sights, even if you have a lifetime battery supply, something could still kill the 'tronics, unlikely as it may seem.
    3. The iron-signted carry handle is light weight. Much as I love my TA33 mini-ACOG, it still adds noticeable weight to the carbine. If I hold my carry-handle carbine in one hand and my ACOG-adorned carbine in the other, I can immediately feel the difference.
    4. I don't have to worry about cleaning the lenses on a set of iron sights.
    5. You keep a real sense of pride knowing that you can put the rounds on target just with a loop and a post to guide you. Red dots are for sissies. (I keed, I keed).

Although I will probably at some point have to abandon irons altogether due to vision issues, I'll use them as long as possible and feel much more prepared because of it.

So, sound off you carry handle fans!

Feedback Score
    My first experience with a carry handle was when I was issued an M16 at Parris Island 40 years ago. And although I now have many other varieties of the platform I still like the carry handle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    1. In a SHTF scenario, you could break your optic no matter how careful you are or how robust it is.
    You can break your irons, too, no?
    3. The iron-signted carry handle is light weight. Much as I love my TA33 mini-ACOG, it still adds noticeable weight to the carbine. If I hold my carry-handle carbine in one hand and my ACOG-adorned carbine in the other, I can immediately feel the difference.
    A Colt detachable carry handle is about 9.25 oz, while an Aimpoint T-2 with a Scalarworks 1/3rd cowitness mount with a battery is 4.69 oz.
    4. I don't have to worry about cleaning the lenses on a set of iron sights.
    But you do have to clean off debris off of the aperture and/or post if those get fouled.

Really, my main contention is the weight; a detachable carry handle is not light at all. Even with a fixed carry handle, it'd just around the same weight as a flat-top with an Aimpoint Micro.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-30-17 at 15:46.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Forgot to add one thing: I actually use it as a carry handle!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    You can break your irons, too, no?
    Yes, but in general you will break an optic first. In general. Aimpoints and ACOGS might be contenders to take abuse that will break irons, but I'd bet not too many other types of optics can make that claim. I actually dropped my carbine right on an unfolded MagPul rear MBUS and it didn't even change the zero. I watched a friend's fancy hunting scope break from a similar impact. So I'm just speaking in general.

A Colt detachable carry handle is about 9.25 oz, while an Aimpoint T-2 with a Scalarworks 1/3rd cowitness mount with a battery is 4.69 oz.
    But you do have to clean off debris off of the aperture and/or post if those get fouled.

Really, my main contention is the weight; a detachable carry handle is not light at all. Even with a A2 upper receiver, it'd just around the same weight as a flat-top with an Aimpoint Micro.
    The Aimpoint T2 is lighter, but the ACOG is heavier.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

Carry Handle Fans Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Technically you would have to add the weight of your rear sight to this to be even. Unless you don't run one, which I don't think is the case for most of us.

Probably still lighter, but the difference is more negligible than that accounts for methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have one with an acog and another with a leupold 3x9, the rest are irons only. I've been enjoying my m16a2 clone a lot lately, the Irons work great!!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Forgot to add one thing: I actually use it as a carry handle!
    I find that works with fixed carry handles, not so much with detachable versions, especially with gloves.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I find that works with fixed carry handles, not so much with detachable versions, especially with gloves.
    Curious as to why you'd say that? I've never had any problem. I have to admit I don't generally wear gloves, but there have been times when I got tired of the sling getting hung up on my gear and I just switched to carrying it with the handle.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Curious as to why you'd say that? I've never had any problem. I have to admit I don't generally wear gloves, but there have been times when I got tired of the sling getting hung up on my gear and I just switched to carrying it with the handle.
    Because my fingers don't fit for beans.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast