Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Handle Fans Unite!

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a Colt A2 receiver on Gunbroker. I plan to put together a midlength upper with it. I really like the lines and simplicity of the older style; the challenge of using irons also appeals to me. Since it's not my primary rifle, it mostly just be for fun.

Feedback Score
    I put this one together three years ago to be a dedicated iron sight practice rifle. It's a BCM 20" government on an A5 equipped lower. It quickly became my favorite rifle and later got a free-float treatment and an ACOG.

This week, hopefully, I will finish up another project that is intended to be a pure iron sight rifle. This time around I went with a DD A1.5 sight, though.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You carry your AR like a purse?!?
    LOL. More like a 5.56 mm attache case.

I decided this weekend to make my BCM the "gun with all the shit on it" and the Colt 6920 to be restored to factory configuration with removable carry handle.

I took it to the range to verify zero, just plinking at cans for a rough estimate since I had a lot of other things to do that day.

I hit pretty much everything I aimed at, and I didn't exactly take slow careful aim at everything (just the smaller ones). I still have to take my time and properly
    aim the BCM with the TA33 ACOG, so it will get more practice time. But DANG, I really appreciate a go-to AR with irons because I can do DAMAGE with that one in record time.

Feedback Score
    Both of my ARs have carry handle sights and my reason is similar to the OPs. I have seen multiple people online in different forums complain sights are getting harder to see as they get older. So I'm taking advantage of my ability to see it while I can.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Its more fun to shoot carry handle iron sights than acogs, rds or scopes. Plus im better with irons...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    I've recently switched to irons only for my home defense setup. My astigmatism has gotten bad enough that red dot sights don't give me a solid point of aim and it doesn't even clean all the way up when looking at it through a rear peep sight. I've found I like running irons with the CSAT rear and a tritium front for most purposes, and I throw on a PA 3x prism on an ADM QD mount when I think I might really need magnification. That will eventually become a TA33. I find I like the irons better than a 1-somethingx variable. Even though I have to line up 2 points, it's an unmagnified view and very fast up close. Irons only keeps the rifle light. Granted, I'm not using the carry handle and instead use Troy flip ups.
    I am an iron sight guy, but have gotten used to scopes and red dots on my rifles. My 52 year old eyes are not the same as when I shot "expert", for the third time at the age of 21, while in the Marines. That rear peep does get fuzzy!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Irons/Carry handles are on 5 of my 8 ARs. I did find myself getting pissed at my irons last weekend when I was trying to shoot the rack of steel plates and the top of my Sunglasses was partially blocking the rear app... causing me to miss way too many shots.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I ran irons on my circa 06/07 6920 last weekend. It's in 100% stock configuration. I managed to shoot a sub-MOA group in the sitting position for ten rounds. I went and changed the target and came back to fire another group. It was 4 MOA. Irons frustrate me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    LOL. More like a 5.56 mm attache case
    Hah! I was afraid you'd say "man-bag"
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    All of my rifles except one are set up with a carry handle and a light. I figure that's all I really need. I do have one rifle that has an Aimpoint PRO on it that I am getting acclimated to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast