Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Handle Fans Unite!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Carry Handle Fans Unite!

I admit that, as my eyes age and I remember my dad's eventual inability to see iron sights effectively, I made sure that all of my M4's were the type with the flat top rail--not with a fixed carry handle.

Having said that, I plan to "stay current" with irons as much as possible, and so one of my BCM carbines has, and will continue to have, the good 'ol A2 sighted carry handle on it for old school practice purposes.

Much as I love my ACOG, and may one day buy another Aimpoint or Trijicon reflex sight, I always want to stay skillful with the irons as much as possible.

It's a good prepper move, I think.

1. In a SHTF scenario, you could break your optic no matter how careful you are or how robust it is.
    2. In the case of electronic sights, even if you have a lifetime battery supply, something could still kill the 'tronics, unlikely as it may seem.
    3. The iron-signted carry handle is light weight. Much as I love my TA33 mini-ACOG, it still adds noticeable weight to the carbine. If I hold my carry-handle carbine in one hand and my ACOG-adorned carbine in the other, I can immediately feel the difference.
    4. I don't have to worry about cleaning the lenses on a set of iron sights.
    5. You keep a real sense of pride knowing that you can put the rounds on target just with a loop and a post to guide you. Red dots are for sissies. (I keed, I keed).

Although I will probably at some point have to abandon irons altogether due to vision issues, I'll use them as long as possible and feel much more prepared because of it.

So, sound off you carry handle fans!

Feedback Score
    My first experience with a carry handle was when I was issued an M16 at Parris Island 40 years ago. And although I now have many other varieties of the platform I still like the carry handle.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to add one thing: I actually use it as a carry handle!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Forgot to add one thing: I actually use it as a carry handle!
    I find that works with fixed carry handles, not so much with detachable versions, especially with gloves.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I find that works with fixed carry handles, not so much with detachable versions, especially with gloves.
    Curious as to why you'd say that? I've never had any problem. I have to admit I don't generally wear gloves, but there have been times when I got tired of the sling getting hung up on my gear and I just switched to carrying it with the handle.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Curious as to why you'd say that? I've never had any problem. I have to admit I don't generally wear gloves, but there have been times when I got tired of the sling getting hung up on my gear and I just switched to carrying it with the handle.
    Because my fingers don't fit for beans.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I actually use it as a carry handle!
    You carry your AR like a purse?!?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My last build was a M16A4 type build using a detachable carry handle. The build is still in the works as I have a Magpul MOE forend on it instead of the KAC M5 RAS which will eventually be on it. I love shooting that rifle. I love the simplicity.

For me the "carry handle" is in name only. Im still pretty sure if I actually carried it like that a Drill Sergeant will jump out of the bushes and do very bad things to me. LOL
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You carry your AR like a purse?!?
    LOL. More like a 5.56 mm attache case.

I decided this weekend to make my BCM the "gun with all the shit on it" and the Colt 6920 to be restored to factory configuration with removable carry handle.

I took it to the range to verify zero, just plinking at cans for a rough estimate since I had a lot of other things to do that day.

I hit pretty much everything I aimed at, and I didn't exactly take slow careful aim at everything (just the smaller ones). I still have to take my time and properly
    aim the BCM with the TA33 ACOG, so it will get more practice time. But DANG, I really appreciate a go-to AR with irons because I can do DAMAGE with that one in record time.

Feedback Score
    Both of my ARs have carry handle sights and my reason is similar to the OPs. I have seen multiple people online in different forums complain sights are getting harder to see as they get older. So I'm taking advantage of my ability to see it while I can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast