Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting from Scratch, .308 or 6.5 CM?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post

I read some articles on optic selection, and they suggested X-10x would be enough. Reading around here though, I see people going with optics ranging from 18x to 25x.

I'm going to look through some locally, but wanted to see if I can get a specific range to look at.

Thanks again.
    I wouldn't consider anything less than 15x, but really I'd look at something in the 18-25x max mag range. The new Vortex PST II
    line is probably close to a 'best' value option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I really like the 5x25 optics but I have a 4.5x27.

The rifle class I went to wouldn't let us dial our scopes past 12x and we were banging steel at 1000.

With that being said I use way more magnification then that at 100 yards lol.

I would look hard at the GEN II PST 5x25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've been dying to get a look through the PST II. I'd like something in the 3-15x mag range with FFP reticle, but I'm quite happy with my NXS glass and the PST Gen I glass was kinda meh.

If you have more room in the budget I'd say a used Razor Gen II is probably the best value in that you'll be happier for longer. I'll probably let mine walk soon when I'm done comparing it to the 6-24x Razor AMG.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    If I were going to buy or have a bolt rifle built today, I would probably go with the 6.5 CR then the .308. It would be nice to get one with an easy or quick change type of barrel system like the Q Fix or the Barrett MRAD, where I could change the barrel myself. The following information is from a 2017 Remington magazine article I was reading at the bookstore yesterday about our armed services deciding to stick with the 7.62x51mm instead of the newer 6mm calibers. The head NC officer in charge of the special forces sniper school had done a survey of 108 school trained snipers who had seen service in Afghanistan and Iraq. The snipers were asked about engagement distances where they were employed as snipers. The average engagment distance for the 108 men across both theaters was 396 meters or 433 yards. Its likely the marines were seeing something very similar. He stated that while the newer 6 CM calibers would bring a slight external ballistic improvement to a sniper rifle, the effects would be almost neligible at those ranges. Even inside 700 yards, the differences between the 7.62x51mm and the other cartridges are not enough to warrant the headaches the smaller bores would bring in the form of a greater logistical burden and vastly decreased barrel life, etc., etc. He stated you would need a third as many rifles as there are snipers, just to keep the snipers operational. Thus the Marine Corp held on to the 7.62x51mm.
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-23-18 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread, and threads on a few other sites, piqued my interest in the 6.5CM. Reports on the round are good. It shoots a bit flatter than .308 Winchester and the Hornady factory ammunition gets good reviews.

I bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor today. I'll pick it up later in the week and mount my Nightforce scope on it. The Ruger has decent reviews and it should be good paper puncher.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Starting from Scratch, .308 or 6.5 CM?

^^^ good choice. I took my custom build out yesterday and made first round hits at 801 and 1041.

The factory 140's shoot pretty good out of my gun but of course my reloads are better.

The Ruger's shoot great if you get a good barrel. There has been some reports of their 6.5's not being very accurate.

Last edited by Kenneth; 07-16-17 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I inspected the new rifle, the muzzle brake was not clocked exactly where I liked it so I re-indexed it. I used foaming bore cleaner to remove fouling from the barrel before firing the first shots. Quite a few patches were blue before a clean one exited the muzzle.

After cleaning, I took the RPR out to the range to zero. Conditions were good and I fired directly into a steady 6 mph wind. I fired 120g Hornady A Max and 140g ELD Match. I was surprised that the POI was the same for both cartridges at 200 yards. The 140g ELD Match hit roughly 2" higher on steel at 300 yards. The rifle has exactly 45 rounds fired through it at this point, so I don't feel the barrel is broken in yet. I shot a 7/8" group with Hornady 140g ELD Match at 200 yards. 120g A Max grouped right at 2" at 200 yards. Both cartridges have acceptable accuracy for mass produced factory ammunition.

This is my first experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. The Ruger Precision Rifle is definitely a keeper.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    The RPR in 6CM is what I'm eyeing now. That seems to be the way that PRS/Game guns are going- heavier guns and smaller rounds. The scopes are really interesting. The two that I'm most interested in are the PST II 5-25 and the Altholon ARES BTR. About a grand for each. I really can't decipher from the specs which one is better. I think the PST is still hard to find.

I cleaned up my gun closet and found way more 7.62/308 175 and 168 ammo than I thought I had for my ACC-SD in an AI chassis. I'll shoot that out and look at 6.5 or 6CM.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The RPR in 6CM is what I'm eyeing now. That seems to be the way that PRS/Game guns are going- heavier guns and smaller rounds. The scopes are really interesting. The two that I'm most interested in are the PST II 5-25 and the Altholon ARES BTR. About a grand for each. I really can't decipher from the specs which one is better. I think the PST is still hard to find.

I cleaned up my gun closet and found way more 7.62/308 175 and 168 ammo than I thought I had for my ACC-SD in an AI chassis. I'll shoot that out and look at 6.5 or 6CM.
    Six and a half is a great round. I found the PST eye box pretty tight so I sold mine. The Gen 2 Razor HD is a great value. Best of luck.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Define long range. Are you hunting? Competing? If not and you plan to shoot under 1k, go 308 or 223 and save money on components and barrels.

6.5 is the flavor of the year and it's good......but 223 and 308 are infinitely awesome. I have a .223 and 308 bolt gun and AR type guns. Just another champion of the military rounds.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234