Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting from Scratch, .308 or 6.5 CM?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just go 6.5CM now. Sure, there's no benefit closer than 600 yards beyond the lower recoil, but boy I'll tell you...on windy days, I outshoot many .308 shooters with more trigger time because wind matters that much less when we get out 850 yards or more. Obviously, a skilled wind-caller is a skilled wind-caller so I'm not outshooting folks I have no business outshooting, but the point stands that I am fairly green and 6.5 is easy to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Go with a 6.5CM--and OP since you decided on a Tikka and not a freakin 700, my guess is you are a winner already and will go 6.5. --just start saving for that Accuracy International
    Ugh, a 6.5CM AX is on my list. A nice custom without anything too extravagant is quite a bit less though...
    Last edited by OrbitalE; 05-31-17 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it was me I would strongly look at the Bargera rifles. I think they have a few for $1600 or so.

I know that's a lot but it will be leaps and bounds above most of the other factory guns.

If you are prior military or LEO I would get in touch with Vortex and get with their discount program.

Then order a PST Gen II 5x25 and you will be set until you want to step up to $1600+ for an optic.

My first rifle was a savage Varmint action in a XLR Element. Vortex PST 6X24 and a heavy Varmint Criterion barrel. I shot it out to 1k and it shot well. It I was not happy with the savage action. Too much slop and the ejection was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Agree with everyone who have said 6.5. I shoot gassers, it's what I know and have been shooting for years. I went 6.5 and haven't looked back. 1) less recoil. While it doesn't inherently make the gun more accurate, it is much easier to shoot, thus eliminating any flinch that may creep in. 2) the 6.5 is ballisticly a better round, easier to make wind calls, more forgiving. 3) cost is a total wash as far as ammo choices. The Hornady 143 ELD-X is an incredibly good round, insane B.C. and available at Sportsman's Wherehouse off the shelf for $32.00 a box. It's easily sub moa, expanding hunting ammo that rivals any match round. 4) if you start to reload, no different than reloading.308.

When you lay everything out, the 6.5 just makes sense.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Ok, I think I'm going to be going with 6.5 CM.

One question I have is, about how often is everyone rebarreling their rifles?

3k rounds is a pretty short life span. Especially with a relatively low recoiling round. I don't see myself blowing through 1k rounds of 6.5 at every shooting session, but I guess what I'm asking is: is rebarreling longer range bolt guns a common thing to do?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Recoil has nothing to do with barrel life.

3k is about right. Depends on the loads you shoot and your shooting schedule as well. I figure about 2k before I prepare to get the ball rolling on a new .260 barrel for my AI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Ok, I think I'm going to be going with 6.5 CM.
    3k rounds is a pretty short life span.
    No necessary directed at you, but just using your quote to make an observation.
    3000 rounds/ 20 per box at $32 is $4800.00 of ammo.

My point if you can afford Around $5000 of disposable income for factory ammo for ONE firearm to "shoot out a barrel" you can probably afford a new barrel of your choosing or even a completely new gun by that time

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    No necessary directed at you, but just using your quote to make an observation.
    3000 rounds/ 20 per box at $32 is $4800.00 of ammo.

My point if you can afford Around $5000 of disposable income for factory ammo for ONE firearm to "shoot out a barrel" you can probably afford a new barrel of your choosing or even a completely new gun by that time
    For some people it isn't the $700-800 rebarrels cost, but some of the best smith's have six or eight month waits.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Depending on the action, the smith may not need to see the action at all (AI 14+ rifles, BigHorn TL3, Remage, Savage pre-fits, RPR, etc.) in order to spin up a barrel.

2K-3K rounds is several years if you're not a very serious competitor. You probably won't shoot more than 700rds a year.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Actually the old AIs didn't have to go to a smith either, it's just more work to change them yourself. Some smith's still want to see it for the first time though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Figured it was just the quick change ones, thanks for the info!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast