Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compound Bow

Feedback Score

Compound Bow

This year I am interested in buying a new compound bow for hunting whitetail deer and turkey. I also am interested in hunting other big game. I am looking into a Mathews Z3 right now. I have never held one or shot one but I am interested if anyone has any input on them or any other bow they have an opinion on.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would suggest shooting a lot of bows prior to buying one. Shoot as many makes and models you can, eventually you'll shoot one and know it's "the one".

All big time bow manufacturers are making good bows these days, it's just finding the one that feels the best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I would suggest shooting a lot of bows prior to buying one. Shoot as many makes and models you can, eventually you'll shoot one and know it's "the one".

All big time bow manufacturers are making good bows these days, it's just finding the one that feels the best.
    thanks for the Tip. i know a place here in AR, i can go for shooting and exploring.

Feedback Score
    You must shoot before you buy. Hoyt, mathews, and elite make great bows, but feel much different. I went hoyt, almost got an elite. I hated the mathews, but they are great bows, just not for me.

Archery is very subjective.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Shoot a Prime too and PSE...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Shoot a Prime too and PSE...
    Prime has a really good reputation. Haven't been able to shoot any myself.

Check out the hoyt carbon series - again, it's a different feel, some people love it, some hate it.

Elite synergy is rediculously smooth. I'd suggest making sure you shoot one.

Feedback Score
    will start the journey tomorrow, i don't think i will be able to do it all in one day but i will try and see how it goes, i looked up prime bows and they see really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Prime has a really good reputation. Haven't been able to shoot any myself.

Check out the hoyt carbon series - again, it's a different feel, some people love it, some hate it.

Elite synergy is rediculously smooth. I'd suggest making sure you shoot one.
    sure thing, will do.

Feedback Score
    X4 on the test drive a number of different makes. I would make sure that you add Matthews, the Halon and their sister brand Mission and their Hype model.
    I am also going to make a suggestion that you buy from a local archery shop ,LAS,vice a big box store since this is your first compound bow. LAS will take the time and really measure you first to get your draw weight and draw length. Those numbers plus your height, which gets to brace height, will dictate which bows will work for you as you go on your test drive journey. Sadly many big box staffers don't do a good job getting people measured and folks often roll onto LAS with gear they bought elsewhere seeking help "because it doesn't feel right", mostly because their draw weight is too heavy or the draw length is too long or short.
    Last just getting a bare bow is just a beginning, that bow has to be "built". You have to select a sight, arrow rests, stabilizers, etc. Matching each of these bits to your chosen bow and you, "tuning" it is where the LAS shines. Same for arrow selection, once you get all of the bow worked out tha LAS will then work out how fast your bow is as configured. They can then help you with arrow and broadhead selection based on bow speed and type of game you plan on hunting. Not all arrows are equal. I know this sounds complicated but it can happen in under an hour at a well staffed LAS. Once you get your first bow setup correctly for you and you know how you like things setup, then have fun at the big box sales and bargain corners. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    I would also shoot Bowtech and check out their carbon fiber line of bows. I would also do a lot of practicing before just jumping out in the field to hunt. Invest in a range finder with arc so you don't over or undershoot your target. Practice, practice practice is the key with archery. Practice holding your bow at full draw because over time it does get heavy sooner or later. Its kind of like holder your arms out and a feather in one hand.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to second the local small shop recommendation. Find a bow guy who is a "bow guy" an expert that happens to sell. Box stores push product, small shops (good ones) are trying to earn lifetime customers, and they do.

They get you set up right, tuned, and help you get into the sport. Just find one you "click" with and trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast