Thread: Lower Receiver Dimension Issues?

Feedback Score

Question Lower Receiver Dimension Issues?

I recently ordered 8 Billet lowers from a company (Still waiting to see how they respond to my emails before I share their name) for a Rifle Club build project.
    I read reviews beforehand and in the past they have had issues with tooling marks and uneven finishes, but the lowers themselves are good.

I got my lowers in and inspected each of them and the finish is fantastic with no tooling marks anywhere on them. However 2 of the lowers have the magwells cut out to different dimensions.
    The two with the faulty dimensions are newer according to the serial numbers than the rest of the lowers. (I say they are defective because even though they are opened up wider they will not take magazines without considerable force. Tested using Magpul Gen2 & Gen3 magazine)

I will share pics below. I guess my question is this, in the off chance that this company gives me grief, is this something I can fix myself without too much trouble or am I looking at a loss here. And has anyone ever seen anything like this before from a CNC Billet lower?
    20170531_133336.jpg20170531_133347.jpg
    notice.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would hope that company would warranty a lower based on it not being within specs. If it's the same company that I've read about that doesn't warranty for asthetics out of Long Island you could try to give them a call?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by W.Weaver View Post
    I recently ordered 8 Billet lowers from a company (Still waiting to see how they respond to my emails before I share their name) for a Rifle Club build project.
    I read reviews beforehand and in the past they have had issues with tooling marks and uneven finishes, but the lowers themselves are good.

I got my lowers in and inspected each of them and the finish is fantastic with no tooling marks anywhere on them. However 2 of the lowers have the magwells cut out to different dimensions.
    The two with the faulty dimensions are newer according to the serial numbers than the rest of the lowers. (I say they are defective because even though they are opened up wider they will not take magazines without considerable force. Tested using Magpul Gen2 & Gen3 magazine)

I will share pics below. I guess my question is this, in the off chance that this company gives me grief, is this something I can fix myself without too much trouble or am I looking at a loss here. And has anyone ever seen anything like this before from a CNC Billet lower?
    20170531_133336.jpg20170531_133347.jpg
    notice.jpg
    First, switch that caliper to "INCHES"".... We're not in Europe (or Canada).

Second, the slot at the rear of the magazine well should be between 0.465 and 0.475 inch wide and distance from the front face of the well to the rear face of the slot should be 2.546 and 2.560 inches. If they are not those dimensions, they really should make it right.

Worse comes to worse, you can, with a file, make magazines fit, but you'll lose the anodizing in that area, but with care, you might make it look acceptable (good file work and a touch of black Duracoat). Depends on how handy you are with a file.
    Last edited by lysander; 05-31-17 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    W. Weaver - I shot you a PM requesting some information. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    W. Weaver - I shot you a PM requesting some information. Thanks!
    Got it!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    They were obviously cut on 2 different machines running different programs. Maybe by different contractors. Does the tight one drop mil-spec magazines??

Feedback Score
    Ok, so the Company is Noreen Firearms.
    smaller.jpg
    GH: I had that same thought, that they must be made on two seperate machines. The serial numbers have them as the oldest two in the batch I got so I originally thought it must be a newer system, but I have since seen a lower with a serial number right between these two faulty ones that was cut right. All mags function fine out of the first lower, Pmags don't work in the second but metal mags work.

Lysander: Sorry about the metric, I use those mainly for 3D printing, and just got used to metric.

Spoke to the company yesterday, they are making it right. So far they have been really nice and helpful. I will keep this thread updated with how this interaction goes.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The order of the numbers really doesn't mean much if they were sourced from multiple shops. Good on them for owning up to it. I won't mention any names but a very high profile vender had some lowers within spec that wouldn't drop Pmags. Pmags are not mil-spec.

Feedback Score
    Just occurred to me that I hadn't updated this thread.

The Company is Noreen Firearms. I read reviews of them beforehand that said there was QC issues with there receivers mainly in rough tooling marks and uneven finishes. There were no tooling marks on any of the 10 lowers I have received at this point, nor any issues with the finish.

The company made things right and sent me two replacement lowers. However one of the lowers had the same weird magwell as the two I returned. The difference is for whatever reason this one WILL accept both mil-spec AND magpul mags without issue, so whatever the problem was must not be related to the elongated cut at the rear of the magwell after all. I kinda wish I still had one of the defects to compare to now.

In any case, out of 10 lowers I have had from them now, all of them looked amazing and 2 of them did not work with Pmags. There are apparently at least 2 different machines cutting to different dimensions, which seems odd to me. But the company was very good about working with me and making sure I was taken care of. I will be ordering from them again in the future.

They are cheaper for a billet lower. $40 on sale at Brownells. I actually went with these based on looks though, as they are not as overly fancy as some billets tend to be, keeping a straight line, no frills look to them while still being just a bit "extra". Not sure that description makes sense, but if you look at the pic I posted above you'll probably get what I mean.