Thread: Any Expanding or Fragmenting Imported Steel Case Ammo?

Feedback Score

Any Expanding or Fragmenting Imported Steel Case Ammo?

Does any of the inexpensive imported steel case 5.56 ammo reliably expand or fragment?

I know, in 7.62x39, the 8M3 bullet has a good reputation. Is there any steel case 5.56 budget ammo with good wounding characteristics?

Feedback Score
    Andrew, from "The Chopping Block" tested a few; one of which was discussed in a somewhat recent thread. Links below:

Tula 62 gr

Silver Bear 62 gr Soft Point

I'd have to watch the Tula test again to comment on those. The Silver Bears looked pretty good for the price. He did say they were a little dirty, and maybe don't penetrate quite as far as most would want to see. I do believe it cycled well and seemed to be reliable.

Wolf also makes some soft point ammo. For what they are these three options seem OK; but maybe not ideal. Especially in the current market, one can pick up high quality defensive ammo for cheap. For instance, PSA has Gold Dots for $10/box right now. Even free shipping with 10 or more boxes. It's tough to beat that deal, and I doubt we'll ever see it priced much lower.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Kdubya,
    I couldn't find Gold Dots on the PSA site. Could it have been another site?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up and for the help. I order this whenever it's on sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    Thanks for the heads up and for the help. I order this whenever it's on sale.
    Sign up for the PSA newsletter and you'll never miss a sale. Seriously, they send like three emails a day. So, maybe sign up with a secondary email address if you don't like marketing stuff consuming your inbox.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    will do. thanks