Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optics choice

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I prefer a nice mil dot, but for shooting out to 600 yards, those BDC reticle work pretty darn well. If you learn the reticle and your ammo, you may hold a little high or little low and be GTG.

I always zero at furthest distance then consider if my gun is zero'd at 50-100-200 or whatever.

I also wish the vortex was mil turrets , which it isn't. Again, we are talking cheap stuff. I might give that 1-8 strike a chance. Wonder if which of those sub $500 scopes is the best.

Mark just finished up a Colt 6720 ( I think -pencil barrel ) with RISII, A5, SSA, KNIGHTS AMBI, ......mount brake for my Sig Ti cans. I was thinking of tossing that bugger on it trying CQB with some 600 yards dinks

PB
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by my9thtry View Post
    Hello all,

I'm picking up SWFA has the strike eagle in sale with two p mags and a PEPR mount for 450 that's pretty hard to beat.
    ?

Very hard to beat. I saw the same thing and caught my attention. I have a friend that gets me good prices on Vortex and still I wonder if he can beat that.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Based on what you have said, your 1-8 might do you just fine. I've been wanting to try a 1-8 but the one I want is a US OPTICS or possible a Bushnell and the price tag goes up from Vortex world.

I still like what you get from vortex for the price. I just wish they had a more robust external turret but for the price.....

PB
    Coworker of mine just snagged a bushnell 1-8.5 on gunbroker for like $700. Not a bad way to get your feet wet...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Any love for the Burris XTR 1-5? They seemed to be well priced right now with the $100 rebate.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe my eyes are getting old, but for things out past 400 yards, I find 10 power to be really helpful. I am in the process of looking for a scope for my SPR to shoot out to ~700 yards. I am going to upgrade from the 1-8 I have today to something with a bit more magnification. If I could get a deal on a night force 2-10, thinking that is the right fit given that it is relatively light and compact. Might be a good fit for your application

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run the Vortex 2.5-10x32 on my SPR..

Feedback Score
    I was able to get another good session in, making solid hits @550 went 5/12 with 55gr Walmart special federal. At 250 both my wife and I can go 10/10.

I'm really thinking about another 2.5-10, the 1-6 and 1-8 PST are both heavier. Id really like to have something 1x but having the ability reach out with 10x and the price is right.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some good questions and good advice already.

I think you should think about whether you want a BDC reticle or not (I see some comments, but not sure where you are leaning). I could not use 14-1/2" barrel and precision in the same sentence. The M4 is designed for fast target acquisition and clearing buildings and not bumping into stuff. Your Mk12 is a precision rifle. For shorter barreled rifles, I like the lower magnification alot. Maybe a nice blend of red dot and BDC ? Find the target, get on it, shoot. If you don't like BDC, you still should be looking at something like 1-4x (maybe and ACOG ?), 1-5x (Burris XTR-ii), 1-6x (PST-1 or PST-2 or Leupold Mk6), 1-8x (Burris XTR-ii, Leupold Mk8). Some ideas there. I think you can find a great scope in the low-mag at reasonable prices. btw, I would stay away from Strike Eagle. Just not in the same league as some of the others I mentioned.

Take some time, explore and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12