Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Port Data

Feedback Score
    I agree tom. I do not understand why top end barrel manufactures cater to the bottom end ammo users. Funny thing is that I think they are embarrassed that they do, so to cover it up, they claim their port size is "proprietary" or a secret.

When I was 10.5-11.5 barrel shopping recently, I called a vendor on that list to ask about their "reduced" port size and was told it was a secret (I had to buy the barrel to find out). Of course, I did not buy it and I am glad, seeing the number posted in the document is what I would call "normal +" port size. I guess reduced is a relative term compared to the 0.080+ that seems common in that barrel length range.

After this last round of barrel shopping, I am done playing the game. If a vendor wont list it or tell me when I call, I wont bother. It is easier to just order a custom SS barrel to my full specs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    I agree tom. I do not understand why top end barrel manufactures cater to the bottom end ammo users. Funny thing is that I think they are embarrassed that they do, so to cover it up, they claim their port size is "proprietary" or a secret.

When I was 10.5-11.5 barrel shopping recently, I called a vendor on that list to ask about their "reduced" port size and was told it was a secret (I had to buy the barrel to find out). Of course, I did not buy it and I am glad, seeing the number posted in the document is what I would call "normal +" port size. I guess reduced is a relative term compared to the 0.080+ that seems common in that barrel length range.

After this last round of barrel shopping, I am done playing the game. If a vendor wont list it or tell me when I call, I wont bother. It is easier to just order a custom SS barrel to my full specs.
    Apparently no one makes a CHF LW carbine gas barrel except for DD and they go and make one with a huge gas port. I just dont get it, a 14.5" carbine gas with a 0.063" gas port is already over gassed enough to run Wolf with a heavy H2 what ammo is so underpowered that they need to open the gas port even further.

So Im going to end up spending $330 for the barrel plus another $25+ for Clint's threaded gas port insert.

In the end I just said f*** it, and bought a Colt gov't profile barrel. Id rather deal with the extra 4oz than deal with having to fix an overgassed barrel for a mere $200.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^ This is spot on. I don't like gov profile barrels, but I've been buying Colt gov profile barrels to avoid the stupid over sized gas ports.

Feedback Score
    Black River Tactical Micro Tune gas block is the way I went. Pick your port size and go. Easy peasy. Not an adjustable so no worry there either.
    Last edited by Glockman1968; 08-15-17 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockman1968 View Post
    Black River Tactical Micro Tune gas block is the way I went. Pick your port size and go. Easy peasy. Not an adjustable so no worry there either.
    I'm aware of it. I'm not going to spend extra $ on a premium barrel that should have everything done right in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Apparently no one makes a CHF LW carbine gas barrel except for DD and they go and make one with a huge gas port. I just dont get it, a 14.5" carbine gas with a 0.063" gas port is already over gassed enough to run Wolf with a heavy H2 what ammo is so underpowered that they need to open the gas port even further.

So Im going to end up spending $330 for the barrel plus another $25+ for Clint's threaded gas port insert

In the end I just said f*** it, and bought a Colt gov't profile barrel. Id rather deal with the extra 4oz than deal with having to fix an overgassed barrel for a mere $200.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have an idea of what Colt's 11.5" barrels are ported at?

Feedback Score
    Over the years, Colt has done some different things, but without a focus on 11.5" 5.56 AR's for volume, some others have been able to make some changes that, as a consumer of now, that we can take advantage of for many purposes. Options to the Colt 11.5" can be better had with some offshoots for solutions for some.

Feedback Score
    Bump for exposure.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've had two Noveske N4 CHF barrels, both 10.5" measure out with pin gauges at .08" on the gas port.

One was a Noveske factory Mk18 URG with DD MK18 ris 2 and the other was an individual barrel with FSP.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    I just got a .089 figure from an Aero rep... for a 10.5, that can't be right.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast