Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First AR

Feedback Score

My First AR

Hi and glad I found this forum.
    Just started my first ar build. Hoping to complete and shoot it by this weekend or mid week next week.
    I started with an Anderson lower and parts kit. Anderson upper and Anderson 18" straight flute heavy barrel in black phos. Strike Industries 15" megafins hand guard, forward assist, extended charge handle, enhanced charge latch, extended takedown pins and flat wire carbine buffer spring. Stock is also strike industries. Buffer tube will be strike industries also,but is on back order, so for now just a basic buffer tube assembly being installed. Superlative adjustable gas block.
    Magpul moe hand grip. Noveske flaming pig comp and most likely Ncstar scope/red dot.
    Hope to put pics up soon.

Feedback Score
    If you didn't buy the flaming pig yet I would just go with a regular flash hider and get something better than an NC star optic. They are mostly junk. At minimum may a primary arms red Dot if it is a range fun. Aimpoint is great b the pro is around $400. If the buffer tube you have is 7075 aluminum I would also not worry about the strike industries buffer tube assembly and just upgrade to an H buffer and put the saved money into the optic or ammo

Also if you didn't buy the has block yet you could save money there too unless you are using a suppressor you don't really need an adjustable one for this build IMO

Are you looking for a red Dot or low power variable? You mentioned hunting so maybe look into 1x6 for a little extra magnification. A lot would depend on your budget. Primary arms and vortex have decent LPV 1-6 and 1-8 scopes. On the low end $270 and up from there. The primary arms 50k hour battery life red Dot is good for a budget one. Vortex has some decent ones as well. If you want to keep the budget as low as possible the Bushnell TRS gets generally good feedback and would be ok for range use probably. Holsun is another red Dot brand to look into on a budget.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the input.
    Gas block has been purchased and forgot to mention I went with a Wylde chambered barrel as I plan on using both 223 and 556, which was reason for adjustable gas block. Planning on using for range fun and some hunting, so any suggestions on optic is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to equip with red dot and some magnification. My hunting area gives me about 100-125yrd shot at max so do need some mag. Have looked at vortex and like what they offer. For my optics budget I'm allowing up 400, so price isn't a major factor as much as having red dot and magnification

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Look into a flip to side magnifier if you're going red dot, or go with a 1-4 or 1.5-6optic for a little more horse power. My hunting area is also about that range and have equipped with a Vortex crossfire ii 2-7x35 with a Burris pepr. It's seems like a decent little setup. There's plenty more expensive, but it's still useable and will save a little $$

Feedback Score
    Was just looking at more optics. How are the Trinity Force scopes?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscar38 View Post
    Was just looking at more optics. How are the Trinity Force scopes?
    I can't speak for that, but you have to consider, at $110 with a micro reflex, I mean, you get what you pay for.

You can get into an illuminated 1.5-6x32 weaver kaspa for $175ish. I've used a few. They are good for range duty and hunting. May not want to be deployed with one. You could also look into a Millett DMS-1. Mixed reviews there as well. Can be had for $150ish, maybe even a used one with a mount for that price.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you are trying to stay uber cheap, the burris scope and dot packages are hard to beat. Like Jpoe said though, when it comes to optics you absolutely get what you pay for
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    If you are trying to stay uber cheap, the burris scope and dot packages are hard to beat. Like Jpoe said though, when it comes to optics you absolutely get what you pay for
    They have prismatic 3x and 5x that mount out of the box I think.

Look for a "lost" ACOG if that's your thing. I don't condone that but they exist. Really adds to a battle worn look lol.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. It's just hard to decide. So much out there. Like I said though,I am budgeted up to 400.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your max weapon budget is $400, or your optic budget is $400?

Your gasblock and KX3 are pointless, as is playing around with a different buffer tube.

You can't serve two masters. If you are looking to buy the cheapest parts (price and quality), stick with it. If you are looking for enhanced, extended, and other catch words, you are spitting into the wind. Figure out what your actual target and go from there. Currently your parts selection is rather questionable.

I know that comes across kinda harsh telling you that your build list sounds like a 14 year old amped up on no sleep and cases of red bull making a call of duty custom load out, but from an experience point of view, it is just calling a spade a spade. If you were my friend or family member, I wouldn't be quite as nice about the above. Try to take this in the right way and not get offended as I'm actually trying to help you.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast