Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color HD NODs

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    This looks awesome...I don't even want to know how expensive these are haha.

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Tagged - need moar infos

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    One of the cooler gear related posts recently. These are awesome.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Standing by for shoulder-mounted NV mount. That thing is still pretty big for a helmet mount.

I wonder how long it will take to get the size of the technology reduced. Really impressive images, though.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's pretty incredible..

Are the green/red/blue lasers all visible, or can you have different colors of IR lasers? I could see this being very beneficial where different platforms get different colors designations. 5.56/7.62 are green lasers, lazing for air support is always blue, etc.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    True.

But...

...unlike traditional NODs, being digital, the image could be routed to a small display wirelessly. The trick to making these useful for Joe is going to be a creative mounting / image-routing solution, or further miniaturization.

Either should be engineering problems instead of physics problems.

As the unit functions now, no reason at all this couldn't be gimbal-mounted, and used by Helo pilots with head-tracking and FPV goggles. Like, immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Standing by for shoulder-mounted NV mount. That thing is still pretty big for a helmet mount.

I wonder how long it will take to get the size of the technology reduced. Really impressive images, though.
    As I understand it, negative.

The IR laser is monochromatic.

Quote Originally Posted by methical20 View Post
    That's pretty incredible..

Are the green/red/blue lasers all visible, or can you have different colors of IR lasers? I could see this being very beneficial where different platforms get different colors designations. 5.56/7.62 are green lasers, lazing for air support is always blue, etc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So a bunch of gorilla tape and a laser, would still come out ahead in weight vs using a razor 1-6 and nods

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The tech is impressive for sure! God only knows the costs involved. Are they doing this all with the optics and sensor or is some of it digital enhancement after the unit sends the signal out? Obviously the optics have a sensor which converts the light to a digital image but the unit does not display it. I assume the signal goes to a laptop or a proprietary console. Does that console or laptop enhance the image or is that the raw image coming from the optics?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    It's going to cost a fortune. At first. But being digital it'll relatively soon be VERY affordable. That's just how it works with digital stuff. There is a reason i2 is still hella expensive.

That is, of course, there are artificial things out in place to keep the price high and out if the hands of most civilians.

Feedback Score
    Moores law. Digital doubles in capacity and halved in price every 18 months. So in about 5 years it will only be obscenely expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast