Thread: New Build questions.. RRA?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New Build questions.. RRA?

How are the RRA uppers and lowers?? How are their barrels?

Are they as good as CMT/Stag/Lauer??

I plan to build a 16" M4 style with free float rails and fold down front/rear sights. I plan to use a Magpull CMT stock and a Tango Down grip and VFG.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1) Good. Most of my rifles are made from RRA parts. I have one lower that was really tight with several uppers, and I think it is from the inside dimension of the lower around where the takedown pin is, preventing the lug on the upper receiver from seating without help from a mallet. After about 200 to 400 rounds, the fit loosened enough for me to take the upper apart without difficulty.

The barrels are of good quality. Wilson makes their barrels, be it the stainless ones, the chrome-moly ones, or the chrome lined ones. Carbines are 5.56mm NATO chambered, Rifles and stainless barrels are .223 Wylde chambered (not as tight as .223 Remington SAAMI spec). They do not sell a "government profile" barrel, so if you want it to be lighterweight than HBAR, you'll need someone like Adco Firearms to turn it down for you.

2) As good. Continental Machine and Tool makes the lower for RRA, Stag, Lauer, and Bushmaster. They'll just have a different roll mark, obviously.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake RAH
    2) As good. Continental Machine and Tool makes the lower for RRA, Stag, Lauer, and Bushmaster. They'll just have a different roll mark, obviously.
    Lauer is by LMT and Bushies come from LAR (Grizzly), last I heard anyway.

Feedback Score
    I had also heard that LMT was making Lauer's upper/lower receivers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dont see why any one would buy a RRA complete upper when they could get a complete Bravo Company upper at similar cost. The dremeled feed ramps on the RRA complete uppers are the deal breaker for me. The first time I took apart a new in box RRA complete rifle for a friend to do some mods to it, I thought he got a butchered up, second hand rifle. The "extended" feed ramps looked like they were done by a 2 year old with a dremel tool. I then found out that this was done a the RRA factory

Anyway, a RRA will work just fine, but you can get a true M4 upper receiver from CMT, and a better barrel from various different sources for around the same money. Or you can spend a little more and get a complete LMT upper which is a better product than RRA.

RRA's lower are good to go, some can be a little tight, but that will change over time.

Lauer's lowers are made by LMT. Not sure about their uppers.

RRA= 1 in 9 twist barrels (better for lighter ammo such as 55gr and lighter)

LMT, Colt, Bravo company and some others= 1 in 7 twist barrels (prefers 62gr and heavier)

This is something you should take into consideration when building your upper. What type of ammo (bullet weight) do you plan on shooting, at what distances (twist rates affect bullet performance), for what purposes (target shooting, self defense, hunting)???

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon G23
    How are the RRA uppers and lowers?? How are their barrels?

Are they as good as CMT/Stag/Lauer??

I plan to build a 16" M4 style with free float rails and fold down front/rear sights. I plan to use a Magpull CMT stock and a Tango Down grip and VFG.

Thanks!
    I'd prefer Stag, LMT, Sun Devil or Colt for a lower.

I own 3 RRA lowers. 2 are several years old pretty old it fit correctly. The newer one fits very tightly with a RRA uppers (very high shelf on lower and long takedown tab on upper). I tried a few different flat top uppers I had and found one that fits well but doesn't require a delrin punch to disassemble (I can't even remember what brand it is but its a Cerro forging).

If you can get one I recommend a Colt, Sabre Defense, BCM, LMT or CMMG barrel (in that order) which will have the correct profile already and you want chrome lined and 1x7 twist. Bushmaster or RRA if you want 1x9 twist w/chrome lined.

RRA barrels aren't bad, but are heavy profile (even their M4 style barrel) and readily available most of the time. They can be reprofiled like the one I use now on my 3gun rifle. It's a chrome lined 1x9 twist midlength with Gov't profile. I ream the RRA barrels I use in builds to 5.56mm NATO with a neck and throat reamer from Ned Christiansen. I care more about reliability than shooting under 1 MOA on a fighting rifle.

Also be sure you're getting the right receiver for whatever barrel you're going with (rifle ramped upper receiver/rifle ramped bbl extension), (M4 ramped receiver, M4 ramped bbl extension).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)