Thread: National Association for Gun Rights build "Liberty"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

National Association for Gun Rights build "Liberty"

Hi everybody, meet Liberty, my first build, dedicated to The National Association for Gun Rights. I’d been wanting an AR-15 since I got out of the Army in the early 90’s, but it was always one of those things that I kept putting off for later, despite working closely with NAGR professionally, and my wife working there, full time. For the last year or so I’d been feeling the need and getting more serious about dropping the coin for both the gun, and everything that comes with it. I was leaning towards picking up a factory rifle vs. a custom build, but of course I was getting advice to do my own instead of buying one, both from the guys at NAGR, and the internet, so I was still undecided. The matter was settled when my wife gave me a custom NAGR lower receiver for this last Christmas. Low and behold, I was off on my project and so far it’s been the gift that keeps on giving!

I’ll admit, with pretty much everything I do, I like to upgrade, and I like to accessorize. Sometimes I think it’s a disease, but most of the time it leads to cool shit. I had no idea there’s so much out there for the AR, and the shooting community in general. I’ve found myself mildly addicted to this new hobby, and I’m kinda feeling like I’ve been missing out. So, since I had some catching up to do I started my research (and shopping) at PSA, on the advice of somebody who works at NAGR and has built multiple AR’s. I was doing fine and comparing a lot of stuff, but somewhere along the way I read a post somewhere that said something like, “You can get good guns both ways. If you’re trying to save money and pinching pennies, buy PSA. If you like granite countertops and German cutlery, buy BCM.” So yeah, after that I greatly expanded my searches, which also lead to m4carbine.net. All the relevant searches and best info lead back to here, so now this is where I live. I've had tons of fun picking stuff out, accumulating the parts, and putting it together. It’s been good to buy the parts little by little over time, researching along the way, spreading the cost out, and now I have a bunch of ideas for other builds too.

The original vision I had for this gun was pretty much how it ended up coming out. I didn’t know the particulars to start, but I wanted a more traditional look, and that pretty much meant an FSB. Choosing a 16” mid-length was a matter of staying mostly in the middle, since this was always meant to be an all-purpose rifle, and I liked the the characteristics the mid length gas system has over the carbine length. I chose the government profile and chrome barrel, even though it's a little heavier, probably for an ill perceived sense of durability, but I like the look and feel of it too. I’ll make other choices in the future with other rifles I have in mind. Originally, I was going to do all black, but the more I saw other color schemes the more I liked the idea of using FDE.

So, the parts.

UPPER
    - BCM BFH 16” Mid length Upper Receiver Group – Quality, reliability, reputation. Why would I skimp on these things? Granite countertops.
    - BCM Bolt Carrier Group - Same reasons. Proven and well reviewed.
    - Daniel Defense Omega Rail 9.0 – I didn’t really want a quad rail but this fit the bill for all other criteria, and ended up fitting in my hands perfectly. It’s the right look, free floating but still drop in, so no mods required.
    - Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight - One of the choices on BCM's website so had confidence in it, and got a great deal with a sale price.
    - Custom Engraved BCM A44 Ambidextrous Charging Handle – I just couldn’t pass up the personalization factor with engraving. If you can see on the top it’s also engraved “2A”.
    - Custom Engraved Cerakote Dust Cover – Frontline Defenders is a specific group of members within NAGR.
    - BCM VG-S-BLK Vertical Grip Short – Never used a foregrip before, but I like extra reference point and stability with this one, and I’m a fan of extra storage.

LOWER
    - NAGR Billet Lower Receiver by DRD Tactical – Best present evah!!!
    - AGL ACT Enhanced Trigger – There will be a time for a really nice trigger group in my future, but for now I wanted a more basic mil spec version while I learn to shoot again. I even used the heavy spring until I’m more confident in safety and fundamentals, then I’ll move to the lower pull weights.
    - BAD-ASS Ambidextrous Safety Selector – A little more $ than I wanted to spend, but the Armaspec I chose didn’t fit so I went to this as it had the best reviews around.
    - Strike Industries Enhanced Bold Catch – To help distinguish the bolt catch button from the Norgon style ambi mag release, and make it easier to reach with my (left hand) trigger finger.
    - Battle Steel AR15/M4 Ambidextrous Mag Release Lever – I didn’t really want the rip off version, but I liked the Norgon design and my price tag was starting to get up there. I found the Forward Controls version after the fact, and will probably use one of those in a future build.
    - Armaspec Enhanced Magazine Release Button – Looks cool with the billet design of the lower for only a few bucks.
    - Tom’s Tactical Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Assembly – Would have choose an A5 system but by the time I figured that out I had all the parts I needed and after 5 months of waiting I didn’t want to spend or wait any more. I may upgrade this lower in the future, or just use the A5 on future builds.
    - KPV Heavy Tungsten Buffer 4.3 oz. - The research said to run a heavier buffer, even though I don't really have a personal comparison. This one is custom branded "Liberty" from Liberty Firearms Institute where I've been shooting, so I liked the synergy of it as a bonus.
    - BCM QD Endplate - Seemed like a good choice for sling point attachment.
    - Magpul STR Buttstock FDE – I had read good things about the cheek weld, and like I mentioned, I like storage. It’s the right color, and I liked the way the release button is somewhat protected by the frame of the stock. Magpul (used to be) a home town favorite too.
    - Magpul K2+ Pistol Grip FDE – Seemed like the idea behind the steeper angle made sense, I like the rubberized grip, and did I mention I like storage? So far so good for comfort level.

OTHER
    - Magpul MS4 Dual QD Sling Gen2 Coyote Brown – Hadn’t received this yet, when I took the pictures.
    - Teralux TT4-EX Makhaira Group Flashlight – I’ve been waiting to mount the light until I was 100% confident with my back up sights. I’ll probably set it up next week. Also branded with NAGR Logo.
    - Teralux TPS-4 Pressure Switch - Haven't decided if this will be the way to go vs. normal thumb operation.
    - Magpul Rail Light Mount Right - Was recommended and I like the forward positioning. Seems like it will fit my grip nicely.

I’m pretty happy with the way she came out. Total weight is 7.4 lbs, and I estimate 9.2 lbs after the LPV optic I plan on putting on it. I’ve put 490 rounds through her so far, and she shoots nicely. I don’t have a lot of experience for comparison, but everything feels right, there’s not a lot of recoil or muzzle rise, and it's (if I'm not) accurate.

I did have a couple of misfeeds at around 60, 90, and 120 rounds, the second round on 3 different mags, but I think that was because I had bought them un-assembled and think maybe there was some sort of binding if I didn’t get the base plate back on exactly right to start. The same mags shot fine after, and I haven’t had any misfeeds since. There’s also a little scraping and nick on my brass, but the gunsmith at the range said it’s just some small burrs on the feed ramps that should smooth out with wear, and he didn’t think there was a problem.

This ended up being a long post, but thanks for reading and letting me share. It’s been a ton of fun and I get excited every time I think about shooting it, or hell, even looking at it. A special shout out to my wife for being so cool while I spend all our money, and ofc to The National Association for Gun Rights, to whom I owe a ton. I hope it’s allowed here, for me to encourage everybody to visit their website and contribute to the cause!
    Last edited by Mr McSimon; 07-10-17 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sweet.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Looks great! simple and straightforward.
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    Really cool. congratulations.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    Wow, that's quite a package!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nicely done and a good write up as well.

If the mis-feeds were an empty and a loaded round stuck in your chamber, it's an extraction issue and 90% of the time, will be solved by the installation of a new Colt extractor spring (No o ring)
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is one of the best writeups under Customs I have seen. Really fits to what the standards of posting in this sub-forum are all about.

I gotta say, it's beautiful. That lower has me in shock. I really like the lines, finger postions, and angles they have. It's quite aesthetically pleasing.

I think it all fits great, the tan on there has a great contrast. Hope the misfeeds won't continue and all goes well.

Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Nicely done and a good write up as well.

If the mis-feeds were an empty and a loaded round stuck in your chamber, it's an extraction issue and 90% of the time, will be solved by the installation of a new Colt extractor spring (No o ring)
    Yeah, exactly that. A new spring on a brand new BCM bolt you say? What's up with that? Does it have to be a Colt spring specifically? I did have one more extraction issue my last time out, making a total of 3 on my first 600 rounds. The second round on a never shot before magazine, exactly the same as the first two. What's the generally accepted mis-fire rate for an AR 15 anyway? Obviously it'd be zero if your life is on the line, but just for a benchmark.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great looking rifle. Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Very nicely done, thanks for sharing.