Thread: Valmet lover

Feedback Score

Valmet lover

I just purchaced a Valmet M-76 in .223 and I am waaaayyyy happy with it. Accuracy is superb though the front sight is as wide as any I have ever seen. It is very fast on target. There were supposed to be 2 HK 93 mags converted to Valmet specs that came with it but when tested they didn't feed so the price dropped considerably. I got it for 1,100 with 2 Valmet mags. Does anyone know if Galil mags work in this weapon? Also, the tritium in the night sights is long since dead. I understand why... the rifle was made thirtyfive years ago, though it was unfired when I bought it! Is there anything that can be done about the night sight issue? It would be great if you could buy little tritium dots and glue them on somehow. I haven't seen much mention of Valmet on the Net. I'd be curious to hear from other Finland rifle lovers.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Valmet rifles were some of the best AK variations out there, period.

Galil magazines will lock up in no problem, BUT, do NOT use them, as the feed angle is all wrong when using a Galil magazine in a Valmet.

Doing so can casue bullet set-back into the case and pressures can spike, causing a KABOOM, which has indeed happened.

Unfortunately, you can either suck it up and buy original Valmet mags, or convert some of the Bulgarian 'waffle pattern' polymer 5.56mm mags to work in the Valmet.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I too am a potential soon-to-be-Valmet owner, but I have not been able to get over the absence of chrome lining.
    I know, I know, many guys say it won't matter to the average shooter, but I'm just a pushover when it comes to absolute quality. (not that the Valmet is lacking in quality, but you get the idea).
    One other point for me, was that the whole idea of me buying an AK, was to have a 7.62x39 caliber weapon. I've got AR's for 5.56, and really don't want an AK for 5.56. I'm STILL in love with the M76 though!

Anyhow, enough of my rant.
    As for the tritium FSP, well here is a link my friend:
    http://www.valmetweapons.com/Night_Sights.html

The width of the Valmet FSP was also another slight neg for me. I know they are considered "minute of man" weapons, but who the hell really wants to see a .125" (or larger) FSP in their line of sight???
    All I can say now is POST UP SOME GOOD PICS of that M76 bro!!!
    I'm dying to see it! How's the stock? Is yours an M76W (wood) or P (plastic)?????

EDIT TO ADD:

No, Galil mags will not work. I know many use the Bulgarian waffle mags that have been converted, (Tromix mags I think).
    If you get over to the Valmet forum, those guys can help out. I know there is still a guy who converts the mags. I am pretty sure he is still doing customer supplied mags, I think....
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"