Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uses for a 223 Bolt Action Rifle

Feedback Score

Uses for a 223 Bolt Action Rifle

I acquired a Remington 700 on a trade. I cannibalized the rifle, taking off the sling, bipod and scope off for other purposes. Now I'm wondering what practical use I have for a 223 Bolt Action rifle. It can't be used for deer hunting. It's underpowered for boar I'd guess, too.

What game can it be used for? Can I change out the barrel for a larger caliber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That .223 will kill boars just fine. Just load up some heavier bullets and let them do the work.

I have a friend that only has a .223 and he hunts everything in North Texas with it.

He goes by the standard of shot placement is king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle in 5.56 that takes AR mags as a back up to my AR - common ammo and mags.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-patrol-rifle-27738/
    Last edited by austinN4; 06-03-17 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    .223 is plenty good enough for hogs/boar personally rolled a few in to the dirt with one.
    Now you rifle could be used for that or other forms of varmint hunting as well as getting in to long range shooting if you have and interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I had a Sako bolt gun that was quite accurate- with 55 gr. and under bullets. I believe the twist was 1 in 10.
    Perhaps .223 bolt guns have changed in the last 15 yrs., but I'd want a minimum of 1 in 8 twist and a Wylde or 5.56 chamber to take advantage of heavier bullets/higher pressure (factory ammo) if getting a .223 bolt gun today.

Feedback Score
    I've never shot a hog but I have taken several whitetails with a 223 bolt gun. It works just fine. Shot placement and bullet selection is key.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am thinking about getting a bolt .223 Wylde rifle as a way to get more practice for my long range precision shooting. Lot cheaper to be shooting .223 Wylde than 6.5 CM rounds. My thought would be to shoot smaller game with the bolt .223 Wylde and use the bigger rounds for deer and above -- hogs could go either way. Lots of friends kill a lot of hogs with .223 Wylde

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
    I am thinking about getting a bolt .223 Wylde rifle as a way to get more practice for my long range precision shooting. Lot cheaper to be shooting .223 Wylde than 6.5 CM rounds.
    ~THIS!~. ... even cheaper than 308 loads and others ...

As a strictly offhand shooter, I wanted to 'learn' benchrest-type technique and perfect my brass & load reloading skills. So I picked up a Savage heavy barrel in 223. It was an excellent platform to learn some new skills on! I got it down to consistent 1/2 MOA groups, got some nice relaoding tools I now use for other precision calibers and learned the Optimal Charge Weight method.

To me, the biggest learning was in the 'nut' behind the trigger, and nothing but range & trigger time will give you that. Another option is a good scoped 22LR and bench shooting at 100-yards ... but to me it completely ignores the reloading quotient.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    All good feedback. It is a great training gun vs shooting 308 or 300WM. I have a REM700 5R 223 1/9 twist that delivers 80 grain bullets with great accuracy at long distances. From 55grain to 80 grain.

Great to shoot and have no flinch or yanking of the trigger. With a can it's a cream puff. It is one of our most accurate and favorite guns we shoot. Rescope it and shoot it.

Great fun, great practice. Kill those small Texas deer and thump a yote.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-06-17 at 14:25.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I just need to get a scope and mount for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast