Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uses for a 223 Bolt Action Rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I had a Sako bolt gun that was quite accurate- with 55 gr. and under bullets. I believe the twist was 1 in 10.
    Perhaps .223 bolt guns have changed in the last 15 yrs., but I'd want a minimum of 1 in 8 twist and a Wylde or 5.56 chamber to take advantage of heavier bullets/higher pressure (factory ammo) if getting a .223 bolt gun today.
    Wylde chamber does not apply to bolt actions. Nor does NATO. Bolt actions are typically proofed to much higher than NATO pressure. Further, the typical Remington will have tight chambers with long throats that reduce pressure even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    ...the typical Remington will have tight chambers with long throats that reduce pressure even more
    Now that's the truth. My Remington 700 in 223 and 308 has such long throats that I can not load the match bullets off the lands and grooves because the bullets would not be seated in the case sufficiently. I load them to max mag length and there is so much bullet jump it hurts accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Someone suggested I could get a 300 BLK barrel. That sounds ideal. Are there any things I need to know before I do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    it all depends on what you want to do with it. Suppressed, it could be fun, but if you want to shoot longer range, there are a lot of better choices than 300 BLK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is this rifle a heavy barreled rifle or a lightweight?

If heavy barreled then just keep it .223 and start shooting longer ranges. That .223 will make you a much better shooter then most die to you having to actually put in the work to make long range hits.

It's capable of shooting much farther then people give credit for. You can also shoot much more then I can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor.

I will probably build up a .223 bolt gun to match my 6.5 for the gun if it and the cheap ammo cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Is this rifle a heavy barreled rifle or a lightweight?

If heavy barreled then just keep it .223 and start shooting longer ranges. That .223 will make you a much better shooter then most die to you having to actually put in the work to make long range hits.

It's capable of shooting much farther then people give credit for. You can also shoot much more then I can shoot my 6.5 creedmoor.

I will probably build up a .223 bolt gun to match my 6.5 for the gun if it and the cheap ammo cost.

It's lightweight

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Could you get it re barreled as a 6.5 Grendel?

I know that round works well in small frame AR's. should work well with the .223 bolt face I would think.

That round also seems to do well at longer ranges. I know I was at the range and a guy was banging steel at 500 with his.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Could you get it re barreled as a 6.5 Grendel?

I know that round works well in small frame AR's. should work well with the .223 bolt face I would think.

That round also seems to do well at longer ranges. I know I was at the range and a guy was banging steel at 500 with his.

Nope

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Nope

It's not possible to change the barrel for a Grendel? Is it because of the chamber size?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No, the bolt face is the problem. You would need to either have a smith open it up or purchase a whole new bolt. For the associated cost, you'll be so deep in you'd be better off going another route. There are few 6.5 Grendel bolt actions for a reason.

If you're changing bolts, may as well go .260 or Creed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast