Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Build - Recce

Feedback Score

My first Build - Recce

Long time lurker and member for a little over a year after taking IG's armorer's course in VA. Since then I have officially caught the black rifle disease. Starting with the armorer's course and then the NRA Sponsered tactical carbine course later that year plus one additional carbine course.

My theory was taking the armorer's class to understand the mechanics and make up of the platform prior to taking a training course in order to learn how to use it effectively.

After many forum searches as well as my own research I came up with the following build:

recce1.jpg

Upper:
    Barrel - Midlength BCM 16" 1-8 410 SS ionbond
    Bolt - Sionics NP3 coated
    Receiver - VLTOR w/forward assist
    Rail - Geissele 13" MK3
    Gas Block - Geissele
    MBUIS - Magpul Pro
    Muzzle Device - Rugged Supressors Brake

Lower:
    Receiver - Sionics
    LPK - Sionics Enhanced
    Trigger - Geissele SSA-E
    Buffer - VLTOR A5 with standard buffer (A5H2, I believe)
    Buffer Spring - Sprinco Green
    Trigger Gaurd - Magpul Enhanced
    Stock - Magpul STR
    Grip - Magpul K2+

Optics - Currently have USO SR-6 in a bobro mount, when shooting for groups I mount up a SWFA 10x42 in an ADM mount.

Shown with ATLAS bipod - aka rifle kickstand

After assembling and shooting ~1000 rounds with the rifle I am pretty happy. I haven't babied the barrel, I've run it hard and put ~600 rounds through it in a carbine course (1 day). Cleaning has been minimal, no brushes, just Hoppes #9 and Slip products to date. No bore solvents of any kind.

Took it out shooting for groups yesterday and came away satisfied. Best group .89 MOA with one 'flier' that was really just Shooter error. (Indoor range, 100 yds, prone, bagged front/rear, IMI 77gr OTM)

New to shooting rifles for precision, so really happy with the results. Could I consistently repeat that - probably not, but it shows the potential of the system with a shooter like me!! Nothing grouped over ~2 inches and I feel most if not all of the groups would be better with a more experienced shooter. Most groups around 1-1.5 inches.

Working on getting pics together and will add ASAP, however I'm on Daddy Duty today so time is limited.

Have built a few rifles since this one came together and I'll post those up as well when I get a chance.

Thanks to the other members for all the knowledge made freely available on here, it has made a huge impact to my enjoyment of shooting/building my rifles! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glass04; 06-04-17 at 13:54. Reason: Adding pic

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well c'mon let's see some pics of that build already!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Solid parts list, nice build.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Thanks tits, just need to get out and work on getting those group sizes down. Rifle definately shoots better than me.

Feedback Score
    Nice job Glass, she's a beaut! Practice makes perfect

Feedback Score
    It amazes me how good of a job some of you guys do on your builds! Your rifle looks great OP, and it looks like it's a real shooter as well.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    It amazes me how good of a job some of you guys do on your builds! Your rifle looks great OP, and it looks like it's a real shooter as well.
    Thanks for the complement!! I'm very happy with the results up to this point. Just need to work on my consistency and getting the groupings to all look like the one I posted. I am assuming it's me, the rifle itself out performs the shooter.

I would say that between the research done here on the board and taking IG's armorer's course - there was a lot of input from people more experienced than myself in what drove my component selection for the build as well as the tool selection that made it possible.

'It takes a village...' to (properly) build a rifle
    Last edited by Glass04; 06-12-17 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle. It's almost exactly what I've had in mind for my next build, great job and good choices on parts. Very pretty, and I like your bike too!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great looking build! I know you'll enjoy it. +1'on the nice bikes too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast