Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCM 14.5" SOCOM optimum buffer weight

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    What would work best across the board, in theory? I will be shooting wolf gold, prvi, federal, am eagle mostly but I'd like to be able to throw anything in it and have it function.

EDIT: I didn't mention that this rifle will have a defensive application being used as a primary HD weapon. Most likely using m193 as my round of choice. Obviously I will test function with the spring/buffer combination I choose. I'm just trying to minimize cost and take some guess work and time out of the process of getting this rifle ready for HD duty.
    What 'gunz rec'd above; sprinco blue and an H2.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I've put a little over 500 rounds through the 14.5 SOCOM and had one double feed using a D&H mag around the 100 round mark. I also had one round fail to go off around the 200 round mark, I was shooting Wolf Gold on both occasions. It didn't appear to be a light primer strike but rather a dead primer or something, not sure. I've installed a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 buffer due to the recommendation of several members of the forum. Recoil impulse didn't seem to change (for me), but I feel I am able to get back on target more quickly due to the extra momentum of the heavier spring and buffer sending the BCG back into battery with more authority. I've shot over 200 rounds using the Sprinco spring and H2 buffer and haven't had a hiccup using Wolf Gold or PPU M193. I zeroed the rifle yesterday and held ~2" group at 100 yds shooting from the prone position, mag rested on the ground, and using an Aimpoint PRO and PPU M193. All in all the 14.5 SOCOM is a nice compact (little heavy) and accurate set up. With the stock in position 0 I can turn 180 degrees in a vehicle with the windows down and maneuvering the weapon during CQB and through thick foliage is a bit easier than with a 16". I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone comes along this thread in the future and is curious about a similar set up.

EDIT: I meant to mention how pleased I was with the accuracy of the BCM barrel (FN?), using a 2 MOA dot and shooting ~2 inch group is pushing the accuracy potential of the Aimpoint PRO/Rifle combination. The BCM PNT trigger in the lower also feels very good for a Mil-Spec trigger.
    Last edited by Cincinnatus15; 06-26-17 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Colt 6920 rebarreled with a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel. It's a smooth shooter with an H buffer and the factory action spring, suppressed or unsuppressed. Ammo used has been Federal and Remington 55 grain. I haven't tried an H2 buffer or a blue spring yet. The difference in shooting and handling between the 14.5" SOCOM and the 16" 6920 barrel is subtle, but I like the SOCOM barrel much better
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I run a Geissele Super42 setup with an H2 on my Colt 14.5" SOCOM.

Runs great suppressed and unsuppressed with all the different ammo I've tried.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd run an h2 with the g.I. spring. My socom is gassed very nicely and need no nonsense springs or buffers to run. It even runs suppressed very smoothly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    I've put a little over 500 rounds through the 14.5 SOCOM and had one double feed using a D&H mag around the 100 round mark. I also had one round fail to go off around the 200 round mark, I was shooting Wolf Gold on both occasions. It didn't appear to be a light primer strike but rather a dead primer or something, not sure. I've installed a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 buffer due to the recommendation of several members of the forum. Recoil impulse didn't seem to change (for me), but I feel I am able to get back on target more quickly due to the extra momentum of the heavier spring and buffer sending the BCG back into battery with more authority. I've shot over 200 rounds using the Sprinco spring and H2 buffer and haven't had a hiccup using Wolf Gold or PPU M193. I zeroed the rifle yesterday and held ~2" group at 100 yds shooting from the prone position, mag rested on the ground, and using an Aimpoint PRO and PPU M193. All in all the 14.5 SOCOM is a nice compact (little heavy) and accurate set up. With the stock in position 0 I can turn 180 degrees in a vehicle with the windows down and maneuvering the weapon during CQB and through thick foliage is a bit easier than with a 16". I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone comes along this thread in the future and is curious about a similar set up.

EDIT: I meant to mention how pleased I was with the accuracy of the BCM barrel (FN?), using a 2 MOA dot and shooting ~2 inch group is pushing the accuracy potential of the Aimpoint PRO/Rifle combination. The BCM PNT trigger in the lower also feels very good for a Mil-Spec trigger.
    Glad it worked out for you!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    In my old Noveske 14.5 I ran an H buffer with zero issues. It ate pretty much any ammo I put in it without a hiccup.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It's also an apples to oranges comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrx View Post
    In my old Noveske 14.5 I ran an H buffer with zero issues. It ate pretty much any ammo I put in it without a hiccup.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Good read.

I've haven't tried a H3 buffer yet, I do have one. Also have a Sprinco Red (extra power) spring as well, haven't tried it yet either.

I do use their extra power 5-coil extractor springs with their black extractor inserts in all our AR/M4's. I don't use viton O-rings in any of them.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12