Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have a Griffin Alpha? -- End Cap Issue

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Well I got it apart.

I just wanted to give it another try and it unscrewed several clicks rather easily. So I figured what the heck and put the pressure to it. Clack clack clak... now I see the spring is really close to clearing the edge and another hard pull and it came free.

It went back together just like the directions stated. Tried to take it back off and it was hard to turn but came apart with just a bit of persistence.

I don't see anything even remotely unusual so I assume maybe it was just the new threads with new finish that sat so long after being made. It feels like it's going to loosen up a bit. Also Griffin now says they recommend "use Lok-Cease 2020" ... which is unusually hard to find for some reason. So I call the manufacturer... "Oh, no, you can't buy that online... you have to buy a case of 48"

Then we talk a bit more and determine I could buy a half dozen.... 1 Pint Brush top bottles 6@ $161.50 --- $27 a pint.

So most of the tech support on the Griffin site is about stuck threads and muzzle devices. They recommend some high zoot anti-cease that can't be bought and a)don't condition the threads with it when it ships... and b)since it's so expensive don't put a little vial in with the accessories for the suppressor.

So... anyway things are looking up but damn, it's really nice when some companies cover all those special little details for you up front. I've got an expensive device with three moving parts. By their own admission, those parts are the ones customers have problems with. A portion of the issue they find to be operator error and a portion due to their having shipped a device without the third party chemical they recommend which is in realty a form of unobtainium.

Otherwise it looks well made, the Molle sheath is well made and the suppressor looks to be well made. the included tools look well made.

Still haven't heard back form their tech support. I would email them and give them an update, ask if maybe I could buy a little Lok-Cease 20/20 from them but if they are that busy I suppose it's a wasted effort and I don't need to tie them up on a phone call now when their time is better served doing something else.

So maybe if anyone else has this issue this thread might help them.

Also if anyone needs to know. If you refer back to that endcap as seen above. The opposite end of the spring has a 90deg bend in it. It goes in a hole in the endcap. Then the spring wraps around as seen above. The "prong" end as can be seen would point directly at the far end. That keeps the spring from rotating. Far end secured in hole, wraps around, then "prong end" floats until the cap is screwed in and the prong rides in the detents.

Now here is what can't be seen. Directly under the spring from just to the left of the prong going clockwise I would say 1/5 the circumference is a slot. So the spring can press down in it. That allows the spring to compress enough to bump through those notches in a counter clockwise direction.... in my case it was very difficult but I believe it gets a bit easier with use. The far end again is simply secured by a 90 elbow. There is no major tension. The spring is quite loose. Easy to remove once the end cap is off. It's only when that spring is captured by the tube that any real tension develops.

Putting the end cap back on is easy. As the prong end just touched and needed to clear the tube rim edge I simply pressed right behind the prong between two 'gear teeth' and spun the cap just enough for it to clear. After that, you can actually screw the cap on by hand easily until it snugs up. Then use the wrench to pull it down tight. Using basic care and attention, I think one would be hard pressed to make a mistake here at reassembly.

Oh, One final thing. The supplied wrench fits very well. My MAGPUL Armorers Wrench and TAPCO CAGE 3E2Q7 wrenches would not fit... .at all.. just a flat out, these don't fit. So don't lose your wrench or leave it on your bench at home. Have a glove, cloth, or make something to put over the wrench for a cushion as it's a multi-tool and as hard as you have to pull on it for dis-assembly, the notches cut into your hand.

Anyway that's the name of that tune thus far. Just reassembled it for 4th time. Tried to take it apart again.. I can do it now, but it's not physically easy.
    Last edited by tb-av; 06-07-17 at 08:35. Reason: typo / grammar

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Please keep us updated if Griffin Tech Support ever answers your question and what their response is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Will do and thanks again for telling me about Ray. Super nice guy, incredibly organized and efficient and his prices are little better than most as well. It's a 2 hour drive for me but honestly it gets me out of town for a while and let's me clear my head.

Highly recommend him to anyone that remotely feels like Culpepper, VA is a reasonable drive for them. I had a rifle transfer in too and I swear he must have called me to let me know it had arrived before the delivery driver got out of his place of business. He also does very reasonable fee transfers and has a single rate for single or multiple.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Will do and thanks again for telling me about Ray. Super nice guy, incredibly organized and efficient and his prices are little better than most as well. It's a 2 hour drive for me but honestly it gets me out of town for a while and let's me clear my head.

Highly recommend him to anyone that remotely feels like Culpepper, VA is a reasonable drive for them. I had a rifle transfer in too and I swear he must have called me to let me know it had arrived before the delivery driver got out of his place of business. He also does very reasonable fee transfers and has a single rate for single or multiple.
    No problem. Hansohn Brothers are easy to deal with. I can't recommend them enough.

Chris Hansohn, Rays son, asked me to share the code DANGERZONE for a 10% discount on silencers and firearms.

That's for anyone and everyone. Even those from outside Virginia should check their prices. You stand a good chance coming out cheaper with Hansohn even after your local transfer fee.

Hansohnbrothers.com

FYI - I've absolutely ZERO financial interest in Hansohn Brothers. They're local to me. Chris has had some silencer demo days at my club - at my request. It's nice having a local dealer that lets you shoot any suppressor you want for fun. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    No problem. Hansohn Brothers are easy to deal with. I can't recommend them enough.

Chris Hansohn, Rays son, asked me to share the code DANGERZONE for a 10% discount on silencers and firearms.

That's for anyone and everyone. Even those from outside Virginia should check their prices. You stand a good chance coming out cheaper with Hansohn even after your local transfer fee.

Hansohnbrothers.com

FYI - I've absolutely ZERO financial interest in Hansohn Brothers. They're local to me. Chris has had some silencer demo days at my club - at my request. It's nice having a local dealer that lets you shoot any suppressor you want for fun. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Damn... you had to tell me about the discount code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12