Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a 357 Mag revolver purchase

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looking for advice on a 357 Mag revolver purchase

All -- I wanted to ask for some advice from the forum. I fondly remember shooting my S&W 686 stainless 357 Mag with a six inch barrel in the late 80s and sold it 10+ years ago. I was thinking of getting a another 357 with 6" barrel and I am trying to figure out if it is better to buy a new one or search for a good condition older model. Does anyone have experience with the newer models and do they have any compelling benefits compared to the older ones? This will be a fun range toy -- not to be carried our used for home defence. Look forward to your advice.

Feedback Score
    The only advantage a newer 686 has is a 7 shot cylinder.

Aside from that most consider the older revolvers to be more desirable due to no MIM parts, no lock, and supposedly better fit and finish.

I'm not personally sure how bad MIM parts are, and the lock is a non issue to me personally.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for a range toy, then anything goes.

The advantage of the newer one is the plus one capacity. The negative is the lock but I don't even mess with it, and I've never had issues. The older Prelock will sell at a premium so it's not worth that to me. I'm happy with newer S&W revolvers.

I have a Performance Center 627 5" 8 shot and a 586 L-Comp 7 shot. They're a bit big for EDC but I've carried them when hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    We still have a few older model 64's in our armory and a bunch of the 64's with lock, MIM hammer/trigger, firing pin in the frame and I can tell you the newer ones give us more light firing pin falls/failure to fire than the older 64's. I wouldn't waste my money on a new one but look for an older model Smith at a gun show. I am seeing more model 19's, 66's and 686's from personal collections at gun shows lately. I've had all three in different barrel lengths and prefer the 686's.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have both old and new and like both. The new stainless 7 shot is nice, the M&P 8 shot is real nice.

If you get an older one, the desirable features are :
    Firing pin on hammer
    Recessed cylinder
    Pinned barrel.

Hard to go wrong buying a nice Smith , old or new. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys -- really appreciate the input. Very helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The only advantage a newer 686 has is a 7 shot cylinder.

Aside from that most consider the older revolvers to be more desirable due to no MIM parts, no lock, and supposedly better fit and finish.

I'm not personally sure how bad MIM parts are, and the lock is a non issue to me personally.
    The 686 is still a 6 shot, the 686+ is the 7 shot. Both are L frames.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Is the regular 686 still offered?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have both old and new and like both. The new stainless 7 shot is nice, the M&P 8 shot is real nice.

If you get an older one, the desirable features are :
    Firing pin on hammer
    Recessed cylinder
    Pinned barrel.

Hard to go wrong buying a nice Smith , old or new. Good luck.

PB
    I do not believe you will find a 686 with recessed cylinders and pinned as the "L" frame was introduced right about the time S&W was phasing out those options. Here is a list of engineering changes to the 686.

686 no dash, introduced model
    686-1, 1986, radius stud package, floating hand
    686-2, 1987, changed hammer nose, bushing and associated parts
    686-3, 1988, new yoke retention system
    686-4, 1993, change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, change extractor, Hogue grips
    686-5, 1997, change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, change to metal injection molded (MIM) hammer with floating firing pin, change to MIM trigger, change internal lockwork
    686-6, 2001, internal lock

Also keep in mind there was a recall on 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 due to cylinder binding. Any on these models w/o an "M" stamped above the model number has not been modified.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I'll admit I'd love to find a 686 CS-1 but I'm not willing to pay the premium for one when all I want is a shooter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast