Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol build issue TEXT & Pic heavy

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

AR Pistol build issue TEXT & Pic heavy

Mods, if this is the wrong location please move, and I apologize in advance.

I recently assembled my pistol build lower receiver, and I am having issues with it accepting magazines, and feeding properly. I bought a Seekins precision SBA15 billet stripped lower from my LGS during the concern in the fall. At the same time I bought a BCM enhanced lower parts kit with the PNT trigger to go with it.

A few weeks ago I decided to finally put everything together. Now, this is my first time assembling an AR lower 100% by myself. I checked pages here, watched some youtube videos from some respected channels, and tried to remember exactly how it all goes, and got to work. The very first problem I ran into was installing the magazine release. The SBA15 has a pre-installed ambi bolt catch held in place by a tensioning screw. It's also a tad oversized, so I made do with what I could on the magazine release and moved onto the rest of the lower. I realized soon after that I would have to remove the bolt catch to get the magazine catch in properly. So I removed it, and screwed in the mag catch, making sure it aligned with the button. Inserted a gen 2 pmag, and it locked up nice and tight. I finished putting everything together after that.

Did most of my function tests (minus the feed test because I can't find my dummy rounds) and we were all clear. I took it out to my range to get my T1 zeroed and to get everything fully function tested out. Using a gen 2 windowed Pmag, with ZQI 62 gr 5.56 the first shot goes bang, no problem. I could feel the BCG not go into battery though, so I slingshot the charging handle, and once again bang, but same feeding issue. It would not chamber a new round, and it looked to be catching on the top of the magazine. I grab one of my lancer mags, same problem. I can't tell why it seems to be sitting higher? The Seekins billet lower doesn't play well with gen 3 pmags, nor any magazine with the overinsertion tab. Last night I dug into it again, and twisted the magazine latch back a few spots, which seemed to seat the mags more comfortably, however, i have to slam empty mags into it to seat on a closed bolt. This is beyond my noob abilities here, so I would love some feedback. I messaged Voodooman last night on Instagram to pick his brain on proper buffer, and buffer springs he uses.

EDIT*Since taking these pictures I have re-cleaned and lubed the rifle properly. It still feels like it's cycling slow however, but I will not be able to actually take it to the range until this weekend. I also unthreaded the magazine catch a few more rungs, but the gun still hates dealing with empty mags on a closed bold because I think the mags are sitting too high personally. Also for you guys running the Law folder and shockwave system on these pistols, what buffer weight and spring types work best for reliable cycling?*

SPECS:

Lower: Seekins SBA15 Billet lower receiver, BCM Enhanced LPK W/PNT trigger, Law tactical folder, shockwave brace, shockwave CARBINE buffer and standard spring, shockwave pistol buffer tube. https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwav...ve-package-fde

Upper: Used LMT 10.3 with FSB I received in trade, my BCM bolt, BCG, firing pin, etc.

TL;DR: I can't figure out what I am doing wrong on my lower that I assembled, and why it's failing to seat, failing to feed, and getting hung up on magazines, and I feel really stupid, please help.

20170605_193517 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_193522 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_193513 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_193416 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_193037 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_192723 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174919 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174843 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174641 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174323 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174313 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174243 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174238 by Willis, on Flickr
    20170605_174043 by Willis, on Flickr
    Last edited by WickedWillis; 06-07-17 at 11:15.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Hi WW,
    Just from looking at a few of your pictures, it looks dirty and pretty dry. Did you lube up properly? I've noticed on some of my new builds that some want more oil to get going. On one of your pics, the 10th one down, it appears as though there is some scratching, rubbing or whatnot on the inside of the upper, along the ejection port. Is this a fact or a photo issue?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
    Hi WW,
    Just from looking at a few of your pictures, it looks dirty and pretty dry. Did you lube up properly? I've noticed on some of my new builds that some want more oil to get going. On one of your pics, the 10th one down, it appears as though there is some scratching, rubbing or whatnot on the inside of the upper, along the ejection port. Is this a fact or a photo issue?
    It does look a little dry in the pictures, I did lube up the BCG before my range trip, not super wet, but to the point everything had a sheen.

I didn't notice the scratching until you pointed it out. I will double check that when I get home tonight.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I cleaned it better and lubed it all up with some break through. It seems to be cycling more consistent, but the bcg still seems sluggish. Anyone have a recommended spring and buffer combination to work with law tactical folder?

Feedback Score
    Its a beast but looking little bit dirty so need to be cleaned up. I do like these type of pistols !

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    See above.

Feedback Score
    Good job WW, at least we are getting somewhere.

Is there any chance of you getting a hold of another BCG, for testing? For me, in a situation like this, I would start eliminating possible culprits. Try a known good working BCG, known working magazine, stock setup, even swap your upper onto another lower and test there. I don't usually recommend changing bolts as most are tested with their particular bolt, but in this case, you are not firing the weapon just yet. My thoughts... I'm leaning towards the folder being the issue. I missed that part.

I have no experience with a folding stock, but when it comes to troubleshooting, I always go back to basics and try to keep it simple.

Lube1.jpg

lube2.jpg
    Last edited by Fryall4; 06-07-17 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I also used the Bolt, and BCG from my Daniel Defense rifle as well, and it has the same feeding issues. I really think that cleaning and lubing better helped out, but there is still some issue I feel like I'm missing. That, and I still feel like the magazines are sitting too high, or the slide catch is causing problems for the BCG.

Feedback Score
    I edited my last post with some oiling points, every bit helps

Looks like we are down to a bolt catch issue, buffer issue or possible magazine problem.

I'm guessing you have used the same test mag in you DD rifle?

Can you get us some good pictures of the bolt catch you are talking about? How it looks from the top with the action open?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah I will take pictures when I get home from work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast