Thread: You're Gonna Love Your Nuts

Feedback Score

You're Gonna Love Your Nuts

http://blog.brainhq.com/2013/11/27/h...u-live-longer/

a new study in over 100,000 people has found that eating all kinds of nuts may help you live longer.

The study, from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, examined the nut consumption habits and death rates of over 75,000 women and over 42,000 men. Of this large cohort, those who regularly ate nuts were found to be less likely to die from diseases like cancer, respiratory failure, or heart disease. People who ate nuts daily had a 20% lower death rate compared to people who didn’t eat nuts.

Of course, this is a correlative study, so it’s not totally clear that nuts are the silver bullet for longevity. Still, a finding from a study with this many participants definitely merits further research and some serious consideration.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/e...e-201311206893

“We found that people who ate nuts every day lived longer, healthier lives than people who didn’t eat nuts,” said study co-author Dr. Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health. The report, in tomorrow’s New England Journal of Medicine, showed that daily nut-eaters were less likely to die of cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. Overall, the daily nut-eaters were 20% less likely to have died during the course of the study than those who avoided nuts. (Peanuts, which are actually legumes, counted as nuts in this study).

The findings were gleaned from nearly 120,000 participants in the Nurses’ Health Study and the Physician’s Health Study. All answered questions about their diets at the beginning of the studies in the 1980s and then every two to four years during 30 years of follow-up. The researchers classified the participants into six categories that ranged from never eating nuts to eating them seven or more times per week. The more often people ate nuts, the lower their risk of premature death.
    And apparently that wasn't the only study:

The findings echo those of earlier studies, according to Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, who highlighted nut research at this week’s American Heart Association meeting in Dallas, Texas. “Eating nuts lowers LDL (“bad” cholesterol), raises HDL (“good” cholesterol) and also lowers blood pressure and blood pressure responses to stress,” said Dr. Kris-Etherton. Her research also shows that nut consumption helps boost a process called reverse cholesterol transport, by which HDL particles in the blood sweep away fatty plaque from clogged arteries. The Harvard researchers pointed out that the composition of nuts—fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals—may provide “cardioprotective, anticarcinogenic, antiinflammatory, and antioxidant properties.”

Worried that eating nuts might make you fat, since they’re high in fat? In fact, frequent nut eaters were less likely to gain weigh in this and other studies. “Nuts are high in protein and fiber, which delays absorption and decreases hunger,” said Dr. Hu, adding that nuts contain mostly unsaturated healthy fats.

So chow down on those walnuts, peanuts, almonds, etc. You're gonna love your nuts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Doc for this-Ive lost 22lbs in about 6-7 weeks just by diet change alone. Have incorporated all kinds of nuts into my diet, primarily walnut, pecan& almond. Wasn't real sure if I was helping or hurting my efforts..now I know. I really appreciate this.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Thanks Doc for this-Ive lost 22lbs in about 6-7 weeks just by diet change alone. Have incorporated all kinds of nuts into my diet, primarily walnut, pecan& almond. Wasn't real sure if I was helping or hurting my efforts..now I know. I really appreciate this.
    I have to confess my nut consumption usually involves chocolate.

For the general public, Almond M & M's ARE the best candy ever designed. There is no need to argue with me on this point because I AM right.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I have to confess my nut consumption usually involves chocolate.

For the general public, Almond M & M's ARE the best candy ever designed. There is no need to argue with me on this point because I AM right.
    Dang- they ARE good, no doubt. IF they came out with a Dark Chocolate & Almond...SNAP! Best of both worlds..but there goes my weight loss!!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.