Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd be interested in trying out the Selector they made for USMC in a rifle at work. See if it's helpful, a gimmick, no benefit etc. That being said, unless you have access to select fire it's pointless. I'm sure if they offer it to the public they will sell a ton of them to semi auto customers because 'it looks cool'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IG, the Maritime bolt catch was first seen in mid April of 2017, by then the EMR-A design was well completed and working, usable EMR-A prototypes were made in Feb of 2017. We thought it might be a compatibility problem between the two, and indeed there is, as disclosed on the EMR-A's product description page on our site, and earlier posts in this thread

To make the MBC and EMR-A work together, material would need to be removed from either the top of the EMA-A paddle, or the bottom of the MBC's lower paddle. Even then this would be far from ideal, the close proximity of these two control surfaces will make both the bolt catch's lower paddle, and the EMR-A's lever difficult to distinguish from one another without a visual.

We took pains to separate the EMR-A's lever from the bolt catch's lower paddle, it's indeed one of the key elements of the design. The area directly below the bolt catch, the EMR-A's lever has the lowest profile and is free of serrations, the design redirects the user's finger to the serrated portion which is as far away from the bolt catch's lower paddle as we can manage, without making the lever too long.

Maritime bolt catch serves a different purpose, which is quite different from our own bolt catch (ABC/R). ABC/R creates a unique control surface that can be easily distinguished from an ambi mag catch's lever, while both its top and lower paddles have a great deal more surface area than a factory bolt catch, they were not designed to have a rearward bias, as left finger accessibility of the paddles (a fine motor function) wasn't a design goal, nor essential for the ABC/R's function, in any case it's not the reason for which the ABC/R was designed.
    Last edited by Duffy; 06-26-17 at 18:59.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Variety is the spice of life.- Sun Sat Soon, 534 B.C.

Wanted to check out the new Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch and the Memorial Day sale was the opportunity to do so. Installed one on my Colt with Norgon Ambi-magazine release and one on my SIONICS carbine with KAC Ambi-magazine release.

Geissele definitely went a different direction than the ABC/R from Forward Controls Design. I'll be getting some trigger time on it soon and will provide some observations down the road.
    Guns-

Any feedback on the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch with the Norgon Ambi-mag release?

I'm cross-dominant and have the Norgon on most of my ARs.

Thanks.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It works fine. I used this in lieu of the FCD EMR-A.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Guns-

Any feedback on the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch with the Norgon Ambi-mag release?

I'm cross-dominant and have the Norgon on most of my ARs.

Thanks.

-Rainman

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I picked one of these up when they first came out and haven't gotten around to installing it, but I really wish Geissele had made the lower paddle just a little shorter. That overlap with the hammer pin seems really unnecessary. Has this been a problem for anyone who's actually gone through the installation or had to swap it out?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, threw it on my BCM OEM. Seems to work as advertised.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Looks great - I really like aggressive serrations. The only downside is that it's blocking a hammer pin. I wish they would have trimmed the lower right corner at the steeper angle (the same as the lower left corner) or made it 1-1.5mm shorter to allow access to the hammer pin.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Lightbulb Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch

I just installed one of these. It looks and feels real nice. As noted, it gets in the way of a trigger pin installation.

I took off a few millimeters with a drill and a dremel attachment. The metal was very hard and it took a very long time. It was very precise work and hard to hold it together. I had to take an edge off at the point where the trigger pin install and the catch collided.

Despite the extra effort, I think this is the best bolt catch available.

https://geissele.com/maritime-bolt-catch.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm having trouble visualizing the interference. Couldn't you simply install the hammer pin from the opposite side?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    From their web site"

"Please also note that the extended controls of the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch will partially cover the pin hole for the hammer, a smaller punch may be required to push the hammer pin out of the receiver from the left side, and the hammer pin should only be installed from the right side of the receiver."
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast