Thread: HK 416-22LR (Umarex) Extractor not extracting

Feedback Score

HK 416-22LR (Umarex) Extractor not extracting

Well bummer. Got this HK 416 D 22LR on the 7th and notice now that most of the time the extractor looses the grip on the bullet or doesn't even grip it. This leaves a bullet in the chamber when I pull the charging handle back. Never really paid much attention since I loaded the rifle with the charging handle and then fired the entire magazine.

Went over to On Target Gun store in Kalamazoo, MI last Sunday. Their gunsmith said he could put a new extractor in it from one of the Colt .22 M4 that they had on display. Interesting thing though is out of 4 of the Colt (by Umarex/Walther) 22 rifles, none of them could eject an unfired round effectively. None. So I beg your input. Those that have the HK 416 D 22 lr, do YOU have any issues with the extractor not extracting the shell out of a chamber? My Sig 522 throws them plenty far when I do an extract on a live round with it. Not so with the HK 416.

When you insert the bullet via the magazine and then remove the magazine it "SHOULD" be able to extract the bullet and then flip it out of the chamber area. It grabs it for only about 1/4 to 1/2" and then lets go of the bullet, or doesn't even take it out of the chamber.

This seems like a real safety issue to me. Right? I also have a SIG 522 rifle and it shoots .22 LR as well, but I can pull the loading handle back after a round is in the chamber an it will fling the bullet quite a ways.

Is there any real "fix" for this problem? Are others having similar experience?
    Vern
    Former Nebraskan
    http://taurus45acp.com My web site for NRA-ILA feed and info with links.
    What ever happend to "shall not be infringed."??

Feedback Score
    I have a Ruger 10/22 with the Volquartsen carbon barrel and I have the same issue with the extractor not engaging on the case rim and I cannot always extract a live round when the bolt is cycled. More I Shoot the rifle the better the rifle has gotten on extracting live rounds, but it’s still not a 100 percent. For me, even some brands of 22 ammo effect how reliably the extractor works. I was told by a couple of guns smiths it was pretty normal problem with 22 long rifle firearms. The rim on the ammo is just too small for the tip of the extractor to always lock onto when the bolt closes. Volquartsen and a couple of other company’s sell what they call a match grade extractor that has a sharper point and a strong spring to help with extracting a live round, which does help on some rifles. I was also told by the same gun smiths that the extractor plays almost no roll in extracting spent rounds. And that you can pretty remove the extractor on the 22 firearms and the rifle will still work because most of the 22 firearms work on the blow back principle and do not need a extractor to work.

Feedback Score
    Got in a new extractor from Walther Arms. Installed it in my 416D and still has the same issue of not wanting to extract a live round. Fixed the problem by trading it in to my LGS + $50.00 cash for a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Performance Center 18" bbl rifle. Nice rifle and IT does extract live rounds pretty nice. Only thing is there is a warning in the manual to not shoot CCI Stinger ammo. Something about it being match chamber and barrel and Stinger is a wee bit too long in the brass. Other than no forward assist, which is no matter, all the internals look the same as any AR-15 I have had, but hammer is a bit narrower.
    Vern
    Former Nebraskan
    http://taurus45acp.com My web site for NRA-ILA feed and info with links.
    What ever happend to "shall not be infringed."??