Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-1 vs. TLR-1 HL

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Streamlight TLR-1 vs. TLR-1 HL

Anyone prefer the Streamlight TLR-1 over the TLR-1 HL for strictly indoors HD pistol use?

Does the TLR-1 get as hot as the HL?

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    I run a TLR-1 which is plenty bright for me indoors. I've been able to briefly test the HL and while some may not mind how bright it is, I find it brighter than I need for indoors. I think sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the idea that more is better or if it's newer it must be an improvement, but I have no desire to change from the TLR-1.
    As far as how hot it gets, I've never run it long enough to really notice.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Interestingly enough I had this exact conversation with a friend last night. I will use TRL-1HL On an SBR for example, but it is far too much light for indoor or HD use. If you are enter from a dark hallway for an example and enter a dark room properly and illuminate the HL, when you step back into the hallway you are doing so with your night vision ruined. It's just too bright. Your pupils are already enlarged because your house is dark & when you fire up the HL, you will be seeing pretty colored rings and spots. Not saying any light won't have a similar effect, but it won't be nearly as bad. I have both and I can tell you in my opinion HL is way too much inside a structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'd get the HL

as the battery runs down the lumens lessen as well

most important thing is to be able to SEE

300 lumens isn't really that much unless you're expecting to be able to see again in the dark immediately after

better to light them up and STAY LIT on them if you find them, if not, at least you can cover most of the room with usable light before moving on

my 2 cents
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 10-05-17 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have the TLR-1HL. Home is shades of light earth-tone colors with matte finish. Non-issue.

Feedback Score
    I have a tlr1. It illuminates out to 20yds indoors to make out necessary detail - facial recognition, etc.

I haven't used athe HL, but don't feel it would benefit.
    I like the ability to light up a targeted with the gun pointed close and still be able to see my tritium sights immediately after, and make out the room's details.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-01-17 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Interestingly enough I had this exact conversation with a friend last night. I will use TRL-1HL On an SBR for example, but it is far too much light for indoor or HD use. If you are enter from a dark hallway for an example and enter a dark room properly and illuminate the HL, when you step back into the hallway you are doing so with your night vision ruined. It's just too bright. Your pupils are already enlarged because your house is dark & when you fire up the HL, you will be seeing pretty colored rings and spots. Not saying any light won't have a similar effect, but it won't be nearly as bad. I have both and I can tell you in my opinion HL is way too much inside a structure.

your night vision is ruined with any white light stronger than a candle...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    your night vision is ruined with any white light stronger than a candle...
    True, but there is a difference in the impact and recovery time when exposed to a candle vs. an 800 lumen light or the 300 lumen TLR-1 vs the 800 TLR-1HL. I've used both and the 800 lumens has a more adverse effect, and it takes longer to recover from. That's really my point I was shooting for.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Please go to youtube and watch Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics videos on light use if you think 200-300 lumens is the most you'll need. Will it work? Sure, but more lumens means better positive ID and I'll take that all day long. 300-1000 lumens isn't going to have any more ruin on your eyes in the dark than the other. They will both ruin your night vision, which is why you have the light to begin with. Propper light usage technique will have you rocking a 800 lumen HL better than the 300 lumen standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2K7UhT6rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ3hTUzWqQ&t=978s

Start with those two and then watch his others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well then, 1200 lumens should be even more interesting. XHP35 HI LED which means it will have the same throw as the TLR-1 HL but way more flood. QD mount - lighter than the TLR-1 HL

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlig...-pl-2-valkyrie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast