I live in the country and am fortunate to have pasture land where I can shoot. There is a nice swath of acreage about 350 yards or so in length that ends at the bottom of about a 15 foot vertical ridge line- a great backstop. The rifle range is marked with concrete markers laid in the field at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 yards. They've held up pretty well, but the cattle sometimes break them. I generally shoot steel, mostly round targets from ShootSteel.com hung on shepherd's crooks. These work really well- simple to move around and maintain. Also have a torso target that swings on bungee cords suspended from a 2 x 4. The 2 x 4 is placed on top of a couple of 4 x4s I have sunk in the ground. This has worked pretty well, too. Now, after several years of use and weather, it's time to think about repair and maybe upgrading the setup. Also, I'd like to have some sort of paper/cardboard target system to train for close range shooting (when it's too close for steel). Would also like to have some more friends over this year to shoot for fun. Dueling tree maybe?

So, here are my questions:
(1) Any recommendations on specific designs for cardboard target holders? (I'm handy with woodworking, don't have metal working skills though.)
(2) Ideas for improvements to the range that will withstand the elements and cattle?
(3) Shooting activities that are fun for small groups, including some new to shooting? What's worked for you?

Thanks for your suggestions!