Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Upgrade Ideas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tower59 View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for a dueling tree that will work with .22LR and 9mm pistol rounds? ActionTarget had one that was reviewed and recommend by Nutnfancy several years ago, but the company specifically advises against using rounds other than .22. Don't want to spend $500 or more on a tree that is too heavy for .22LR, but optimally would get one that could handle both. Suggestions? Thanks!

https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...eling-tree.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8pOrOdDbQ
    The problem is that all 22 rimfire tree plates are made from 1/4" A36 hot rolled steel plate which will not deform when using .22 rimfire but will not withstand centerfire handgun rounds very long. You might be able to special order a tree with AR plates.

Feedback Score
    The rimfire dueling tree from Action Targets is made from AR500, according to the product description. I was hoping that it would be light enough to work with .22LR but tough enough to handle some 9mm. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tower59 View Post
    The rimfire dueling tree from Action Targets is made from AR500, according to the product description. I was hoping that it would be light enough to work with .22LR but tough enough to handle some 9mm. Thoughts?

My thoughts are it is too light.

Action Target knows what they are about in terms of plates and turners. From their website and FAQ:

*The Rimfire Dueling Tree is designed for use with .22 rimfire ammunition only. Using ammunition other than .22 rimfire may result in the malfunction of the target’s reactive features or even damage to the target. Please refer to the Steel Target Safety Rules before shooting on any steel target, and learn more about steel hardness and target design by reading The Science Behind Steel Targets.

FAQs

Can I shoot my rimfire .17 HMR on this target?: While the .17 HMR is a rimfire round, its velocity is too great for the reactive mechanisms of the target. This target is designed for .22 rimfire ammunition only.

Can I shoot centerfire handgun rounds on this target?: While this target is made of 1/4" AR500 armor steel which can withstand the force of a centerfire handgun round, shooting it with more powerful rounds will cause it to wear out quickly and cause the reactive features of the target to malfunction.

Feedback Score
    Dueling Tree Update: So ActionTargets sent us the rimfire dueling tree. Took about a month to actually get the product, and then the hardware package was incomplete. Couldn't get ahold of the company for awhile (no email response, voice mail on multiple calls). However, eventually contact was made and they sent out some bolts and nuts to complete assembly. Overall quality is superb. Super heavy duty. Should last a life time. I think the steel would likely handle centerfire pistol rounds, but the fine print suggests that that kind of energy may cause the paddles to swing around and then bounce back. I'm scared to try it for fear it might pock mark the steel. For .22LR, it's a dream, though some sub-sonic rounds don't have enough energy to reliably swing the paddles all the way around. Lots and lots of fun when shooting this with my boy. I suspect there are lighter (and cheaper) versions out there, but for high quality, I'd recommend it for adding some action to your range.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinconco View Post
    Hang Fast Targets has a T post hanger that is super easy to use and allows for a very reactive target.... good sound too.
    I love my hang fast t post hangers and targets. Maybe weld some 1/4” angle just below the plate. My t-posts have just about been cut in 1/2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12