Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsession with range brass..

Feedback Score

Obsession with range brass..

I ve discovered I've got this obsession about range brass laying around.

I generally leave the range with several pounds after every shooting session, Not that many reload around here.

I general tumble everything together then sort later, Hey if cases get stuck together goes in the scrap bin.

If its a caliber I have such as 223 , 40sw or 45 act i'll keep it.

I just realized a large portion of the brass is something i don't have or care to reload.

I just gave away a lot of clean 300 blk, 7mm mag, 9mm and assorted other calibers.

Is this weird or do most members only pick up what they shoot?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I often scoop up everything in my area if nobody wants it. I can either sell it or turn in in for scrap if I don't use it for reloading.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know that I would call it an obsession, at least not in what you are doing OP.

Firstly, when I hit the range, any unwanted brass that is lying around I will generally pick up as I police my own brass. I don't generally look to hard at it, just grab it and in my little bag it goes. Pistol, rifle, all the same. Rimfire sometimes too if I am too lazy to try to throw it away. I sort it when I get home, usually after I have a small bin worth of the junk. Sort, label, and store, clean up, reload, ect. Some may get traded or sold off as time goes by, but it isn't high on my list of to do things as it may have once been.

I used to go to the range, any unwanted brass would get picked up, and if there were any bags of brass in the trash bins I'd grab those too. of course this was when I was getting easily 10 cents a piece of .223 and 9mm brass and 15 cents for 45acp, and .40 brass usually got me about 10 cents too. .308, 30-06, 300blk, if I could get enough of that stuff I could get almost 20 cents a piece for the stuff. I used to go shooting, burn a couple hundred rounds, grab lunch, pick up all brass that was left behind, sell it and come out making money, after ammo, gas, lunch, and my time. That said, I still won't call it an obsession since I didn't ever go down to the range like some for the sole reason of picking up brass, nor did do like others who would gobble up any brass that hit the ground even if it were other shooters who were currently shooting. Now if you left and it was still there... well fair game.

I will say that I know some who are possibly obsessed. I mean guys with 55 gallon drums of casings, multiples, who reload, but not that much, but whenever the opportunity presented itself they would grab casings. Some who have 50K or more, and will still dig through the trash bin for a handful of more even while saying, "I don't know why I am collecting these, I have enough to last me a lifetime now?"
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We grab it all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I grab it if it's brass and cf. I keep a bin for stuff I consider trash that will someday get recycled or sold for scrap.

I keep a bin for common calibers I don't reload, sort it by caliber.

Then I keep bins for stuff I do reload. I don't mix stamps for anything I care about accuracy-wise, so much of it remains unused. Someday I'll sell it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'm guilty.
    Been through too many "shortages" to not plan for the worst.

I currently do not reload for 5.56/.223, but shoot factory ammo.

I have ample storage space in the shop for the brass I accumulates.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I pick it up if it's 9, 45, or 223. It's not an obsession and I can quit whenever I want. Hell, I've still got a couple of 5 gal. buckets of brass picked up a couple of years ago.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If it is brass and boxer primed, I grab it. Sort it when I get home and keep the calibers I reload for.

The extra I will either trade off or give away.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just need copper prices to shoot up so I can sell the brass I don't load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I too appreciate (semi) precious metal laying on the floor for me to acquire. Brass, gold, silver, I am fond of them all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast