Thread: Drop down danglers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Drop down danglers

Hey guys. I'm been toying with the notion of putting a drop down pack on my PC. I've been hearing that it is starting to(maybe a while) is coming in favor of some cool guy groups

So I ordered the TT drop down. I want to put my IFAK in it so I have instant access to it. Plus I want it off my PC. I'm not in a position where I'll be kicking doors for hours straight so I don't need the IFAK as an arm rest lol.

But for those who run one, do they swing back and for a lot when you maneuver? And when you go prone does it swing out and bunch up under you?

It seems like it might.

Basically I want to know if it's a good move or if I just wasted $40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't speak for the TT pouch, but I have a Spiritus Systems SACK and it doesn't swing forward.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a fan of danglers. If you're going to do one make it small, it's when you're in the prone they don't let you get as low to the ground.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I run one on multiple setups and have no issues with them flopping. If you are wearing your armor correctly, it is a non issue. Also, don't over pack them, they are designed to carry the bare minimum. I run a small IFAK or Survival/E&E/signal kit in mine. IMHO, the TT and Ferro pouches are too big. TYR and Spiritus are nice. You can also modify a horizontal GP pouch from First Spear, Eagle, TAG, TT, TYR, etc to work with some Velcro One-Wrap and some 1" plastic loops. kind of like this TYR setup: http://www.tyrtactical.com/_ui/image...GPSPM_0096.jpg
    Last edited by drtywk; 06-24-17 at 13:49.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

My PC basically serves as a weighted vest when I run the track. The SACK is usually loaded with my wallet, iPhone 6s and car keys. I certainly flops against my belly but nothing unbearable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen some pictures of HSLD guys wearing them, but from my limited non-military/non-LEO experience anything below the waist line is a nut-buster. I've not used a dangler, but did try a f*$ bag (fanny pack) in conjunction with a PC. I probably had it overloaded, but it was uncomfortable.

Why not just mount a tear-off IFAK on your PC?

Full Disclosure: I'm just a guy that likes to shoot a lot, and often wears gear while doing it. As such, my gear doesn't have any real purpose outside of those I've made up. Therefore, I have the luxury of selecting where and what I put on my battle belt and PC (i.e. I don't have communications equipment, etc to contend with).

Short story: listen to someone with real experience...not me.

Feedback Score
    I got one from Chase Tactical. About 8" wide and 5" or 6" tall. What I like about this is they have a level IIIA SA3100 insert thay can be added to provied lower abdominal coverage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Use a Spiritus SACK on my work setup (LE) and haven't had any issues with prone or flopping around. Have it set up as a med kit with TQs and med stuff. I have a ferro one too and the Spiritus is a superior product hands down.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    If the pouch you bought is the TT "Plate Carrier Lower Accessory Pouch" I suspect you may see a little more sway/flop-forward than average due to the pouch simply being velcro'd through those plastic slot bars. You'll have to put whatever you plan to in it and run around to be sure.

If it flops to much for your liking, send it back and get a SS SACK. It's pretty much the same size as the Haley hanger, just executed better, IMO. And if neither works for you, than likely nothing else will.

Personally, I also find top-opening pouches easier to get stuff out of than front-openers like the TT and Ferro items- stuff always gets caught up in the corners trying to get it out, harder to reach into, especially if wearing gloves. YMMV.
    Something to remember, especially if worn ICW a plate carrier with mags on the front, between the plate + mag thickness, you probably will not be able to see well (if at all) into the pouch looking down on it. So if you're one of those organization freaks with your med kit (or anything else you put in there), you're pretty much going to be grabbing blind at it all.... IMHO, if I was using a dangler as an IFAK, I'd put all the supplies in some sort of easily opened plastic bag, and stuff the whole thing in there, so I could simply unzip the dangler, seize whatever my hand found and yank the whole thing out in one shot.

Obviously, do not load it up with batteries, flashlight, multi, or whatever other extras you want- I'd say 2 lbs or less would be max for comfortable wear. I mean, sure you could fill it up with whatever in an emergencey, but the heavier or the more "hard" objects you stick in there, there more noticeable the flop will be, and the more it's going to suck to lay prone on.

As far as danglers for IFAK use, I've seen a couple folks running the Mayflower/Velocity LVBOK like this, but I'm not sure if they had it custom built to be a dangler, or DIY'd it. Cool concept for thought though...
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd_kwQNUIAADJNz.jpg

You could alternatively try a Manly Fanny Pouch but like ARCH mentioned, if you run it front, it can potentially slap you around a bit. Running it off to one side or rear would be better, but I can also assure you that if the minimal flop of a dangler annoys you, the more pronounced flop of the tac-fanny will irk you even more. The one big plus this does have, is you can take it off- easier to access supplies, or throw it over the top of your pack as a quick-detach go-bag. So, depending on your usage needs, you don't *have* to wear it for long periods of time. YMMV.

I'm currently using a SS SACK, and I quite like it, but I just use it as a light "extras" GP, not an IFAK.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment