Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fashionable, slim-fit, no-melt, no-drip, flame-retardant clothing?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Fashionable, slim-fit, no-melt, no-drip, flame-retardant clothing?

Obviously the simple answer here is to just wear normal clothes made of natural fibers. But I'm looking for something a little more robust and made from technical fabrics that are designed specifically to be flame retardant, ideally to the relevant mil-standards like ASTM D 6413-99. Anything like this out there that doesn't look like a combat uniform? NIR compliancy appreciated but not required.
    Last edited by a0cake; 06-12-17 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Welcome back.

Would some of the uniform companies like Dickies and Carhartt work? I know they make stuff out of Nomex for the US Park Service and US Forestry Service.

I know it's hard to combine those with the words "fashionable". But you might have a decent tailor alter them a bit.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can look up Bulwark brand. They make fire retardant and flash resistant clothing.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Massif sells non-military clothing as well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Obviously the simple answer here is to just wear normal clothes made of natural fibers. But I'm looking for something a little more robust and made from technical fabrics that are designed specifically to be flame retardant, ideally to the relevant mil-standards like ASTM D 6413-99. Anything like this out there that doesn't look like a combat uniform? NIR compliancy appreciated but not required.

I hear rompers are pretty fashionable these days.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    You can look up Bulwark brand. They make fire retardant and flash resistant clothing.
    Yep, and check out Ariat, too.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Welcome back.
    Thanks. And thanks everyone for the recommendations. Will check them all out (though it's hard to see how the rompers can be beaten).

Feedback Score
    Bulwark has come a long way as far as fashion goes. They all have. We felt like gas station attendants when we first were issued FR clothing. I'm glad I don't have to wear it anymore, I didn't like wearing it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last Flash-Arc awareness class I had was a couple years ago and they covered clothing pretty extensively (class was a disguised sales pitch to my company to sell FR rated tools, clothes, suits, books etc etc. Must of worked because we bought a few sets of different rated suits and the building mx guys are issued FR clothing sets)

To keep the FR rating the clothing has to be specially laundered in chemical cleaning/treating, otherwise starts to lose FR resistance with each wash. If I recall correctly somewhere around 15-20 washes is where the tipping point of where the effective FR starts to degrade significantly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Regarding the work wear, I choose to wear dickies brand pants. They make a slim tapered cut and although it is tapered and slim, they do not fit how you would imagine, more of a "modern tailered look" not teenage jogger. I am 5'11" and 200lbs 33-34 waist. The 32 inseam fits perfect for $24. They also have some stretch to the fabric as opposed to their regular fit work pants. I've have worn them at work for over a year (merchandiser for a soda company) so I am on the ground some when I fill the lower shelves. Still as blue as the day I bought them. As far as flame resistant not sure but it's probably you can find out on their website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast