Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light or heavy?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you stuck on the AR platform? If not, have you thought about the Micro Draco. It is only ~15" OAL.

7.62x39 works right in the range you are desiring.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I am stuck with the ar platform I guess, been messing with them since the early 80's and I know absolutely nothing about ak platform. I have 7 ar's in various calibers and enough parts to build at least 3 more. Guns are my obsession in life.
    I spend all my money on guns, beer and women the rest I just waste.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Reliability and function issues aside - will the 64 gr gold dot even reach its expansion threshold for velocity from a 7.5" barrel? I don't recall what the velocity threshold figure is. If the gold dot won't expand at the low end of velocity, nothing will and you'd just be ice-picking a would be assailant.
    Those above linked threads showed the expansion threshold of 1800 fps.

Looks like a muzzle velocity of somewhere between 1900-2000fps from a 7.5" barrel.

This gives an expansion range between 35 and 65 yards, sufficient for stated purposes.

Some other germane threads.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Gold-Dot-ammo

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...r-Bonded/page2
    Last edited by Clint; 06-13-17 at 22:26.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax61 View Post
    I think one thing is for sure nobody likes my 7.5 in 556 short, lite, truck gun idea perhaps I'll rethink my planned purpose and just build another 8 in 300 blk, the one I currently have is way to nice to be a truck gun.
    You should...even touching off 556 out of SBR lengths inside a vehicle without ear pro will feel like getting flashbanged. Id hate to imagine what a pistol length AR would feel like.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a 7.75 inch that runs well but it is a PWS Diablo. I really like it and I have no issues running it.

I do use a Dead Air Sandman on it for long periods of shooting.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Maybe something like the basic 55gr Hornady JSP would be ok? I recall the 55gr Hornady JSP came up just a bit short in gel from a 16" barrel, so maybe the lower velocity would help it retain more weight and fragment less and penetrate more?

If I absolutely had to use a 7.5" barrel it would be a 9x19 or .300blk.

Feedback Score
    I thought about the 55g sp, and you are probably correct . Slower velocity might work for that bullet.
    I guess my original thought on the 7.5 inch is that I would rather have a short, ar pistol than a hand gun in a shtf like riots ect. I have watched to many people get dragged out of there vehicle and nearly beaten to death I can assure you it won't be happening to me. It will be say hello to my little friend

Feedback Score
    If you're committed to the 7.5" barrel, and a top contender appears to be the 64gr Gold Dot, why not consider the 55gr? In the grand scheme of things it's a very capable round. Mission drives the gear, right? For this "truck gun" the worst case scenario is getting hemmed up by some BLM or social justice terrorists. The goal is to have enough firepower to get the ef' out of there.

So, we're talking engagements likely within 25 yards; but probably more like 25 feet. As Cliff stated, the 64 should be fine up to around 50 yards. Honestly, most defensive loads we discuss would provide you with the means to get out. Still, it won't hurt to have a little more velocity at the muzzle; which the 55 would provide.

I'm sure a round loses some juice going through a windshield or door. How much? I have no clue. Regardless, the higher the starting point above that 1800-ish fps threshold, the better.

If I were restricted to your barrel length, caliber, and setup I'd likely look to something in the 55gr range. Beyond the GD, I do think a sp would be a worthy consideration. The 50gr TSX would be another.

Ready for my wildcard...

...How about the DRT offerings? I may get reamed for this, but their threshold is claimed to be in the 1400-1500 range. Yes, it fragments, rather than expands. However, it appears to handle barriers quite well. Add the lower velocity threshold, and you now have heavier options to choose from. It's thought of as a gimmicky round; and it very well might be. But, there is a good amount of testing and user reports that show it's effective on small to medium game.

Before anyone goes too crazy over the above, it's not what I'm recommending as a top choice. It's more of a "just for fun" thought. I simply wonder if those who'd never consider it for normal defensive use might be willing to entertain the idea within the OPs variable constraints and theoretical defensive scenario.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    I have considered the 55g gold dot, I have purchased 1200 rds of the 64g gold dots from psa but they never seem to have a sale on the 55 or 75 or for that matter have them in stock. If they do become available I will purchased a case, to keep on hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax61 View Post
    I have considered the 55g gold dot, I have purchased 1200 rds of the 64g gold dots from psa but they never seem to have a sale on the 55 or 75 or for that matter have them in stock. If they do become available I will purchased a case, to keep on hand.
    Ultimately, the 64s should be fine. Right now, it does look like they have the 55s on sale for $10.99/box and are showing in stock.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12