Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier, LMT MRP 10.5, SiCo Saker 762 on M16 lower - amazing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier, LMT MRP 10.5, SiCo Saker 762 on M16 lower - amazing

Slippers, myself, and a few other friends were out shooting today. We had my Colt M16 lower with Colt M4 receiver extension, carbine action spring, and H3 buffer. A Noveske N4 10.5" CHF mk18 CQBR upper typically lives on this lower. Slippers had his LMT MRP 10.5 upper with Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier and SiCo Saker 762. This upper/bolt carrier combo is unbelievably smooth. It feels like you are shooting a 22lr MG. We all had no issue making 2-5 round burst hits on torso sized steel at 100 yards with the fore end braced on barricade. This upper makes me want to install the Gemtech carrier in all my suppressed uppers. And my Noveske really needs a BRT reduced gas port.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    And Dead Air Key-mo mount, which has yet to get stuck despite many hundreds of rounds of full auto between removals.

Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    A little slow motion clip:

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Do like the Gemtech carrier better than say the LMT E-carrier because you're running bursts and suppressed? I have an LMT-E carrier to run suppressed, but not in auto, though I considered the Gemtech. Curious as I am just starting to learn how the suppressor affects the operation rifles.

NC
    Last edited by nightchief; 06-13-17 at 04:34.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Do like the Gemtech carrier better than say the LMT E-carrier because you're running bursts and suppressed? I have an LMT-E carrier to run suppressed, but not in auto, though I considered the Gemtech. Curious as I am just starting to learn how the suppressor affects the operation rifles.

NC
    Yes, I prefer the gemtech carrier. I have a couple LMT e-carriers, but on a 10.5 with a suppressor I can't tell a difference between the e-carrier or a standard carrier. The recoil impulse is harsh, the cyclic rate is very high, and the gas-to-face is obnoxious. The gun also fouls up very quickly. I've tried both a carbine receiver extension with H3 and A5 extension with A5H3. The carbine extension with H3 wouldn't reliably lock back on the last round unsuppressed once the gun was shot a bunch and dirty. I have tried various sprinco springs, but the heavier ones result in the muzzle dipping when the bolt closes due to the increased carrier velocity.

I use an A5H2 and colt rifle spring with the gemtech carrier and the gun can go 500+ rounds between cleaning (I've never let it go further, but it hasn't ever malfunctioned in this configuration either), all suppressed, doesn't get all gritty feeling when you operate the charging handle, has very little gas-to-face, and is extremely smooth. You can see in the videos that it barely moves, allowing us to land multiple hits in short bursts.

The suppressor you're using will also have a big effect on performance. I'm using a 7.62 can, so it has less back pressure with 5.56. Previously I tried to use my specwar 556K, and even with the gemtech carrier it was much gassier and faster cycling.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I recently bought one of the Bootleg adjustable carriers and got to try it out for the first time today with my 11.5" BCM and saker 556. Going from the unsuppressed to suppressed settings with the can on was a drastic difference. No gas to the face (i'm a lefty) on suppressed settings, and recoil was much nicer. I would imagine the gemtech feels the same.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Slippers and Nate89, I appreciate the info. I test fired (indoors) the suppressor several months ago with a moderate rate of fire on a BCM 11.5 and it seemed to run ok. There were no cycle issues, the recoil impulse didn't seem to be a problem and I wasn't choking on gas. I have two different 11.5" uppers, a BCM and a build using the Sionics RGP barrel to run with an SF 556-212 suppressor. One lower is set up with a carbine RE/H3 buffer the other with an A5 RE/A5H2 or A5H4. Will watch for the issues you described.

Slippers, would you feel the Gemtech carrier was necessary if you weren't running in auto?

NC

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Slippers and Nate89, I appreciate the info. I test fired (indoors) the suppressor several months ago with a moderate rate of fire on a BCM 11.5 and it seemed to run ok. There were no cycle issues, the recoil impulse didn't seem to be a problem and I wasn't choking on gas. I have two different 11.5" uppers, a BCM and a build using the Sionics RGP barrel to run with an SF 556-212 suppressor. One lower is set up with a carbine RE/H3 buffer the other with an A5 RE/A5H2 or A5H4. Will watch for the issues you described.

Slippers, would you feel the Gemtech carrier was necessary if you weren't running in auto?

NC
    Yes. I am cursed with a very sensitive nose, though. I hate gassy rifles. One of the main advantages of the Gemtech carrier is that it reduces the cyclic rate. Even if you don't run full-auto, the benefits of this are still important. Reduced lock time, fouling, and less wear.

Although this isn't relevant to most people, the Bootleg carrier is not full-auto rated despite the same company also making the Gemtech SBC.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Yes. I am cursed with a very sensitive nose, though. I hate gassy rifles. One of the main advantages of the Gemtech carrier is that it reduces the cyclic rate. Even if you don't run full-auto, the benefits of this are still important. Reduced lock time, fouling, and less wear.

Although this isn't relevant to most people, the Bootleg carrier is not full-auto rated despite the same company also making the Gemtech SBC.
    I was not aware the Bootleg Carrier is not FA rated. I understand why there is a price difference now.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Awesome videos guys.

How much does that SBR combo weigh?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast