Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier, LMT MRP 10.5, SiCo Saker 762 on M16 lower - amazing

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Yes. I am cursed with a very sensitive nose, though. I hate gassy rifles. One of the main advantages of the Gemtech carrier is that it reduces the cyclic rate. Even if you don't run full-auto, the benefits of this are still important. Reduced lock time, fouling, and less wear.

Although this isn't relevant to most people, the Bootleg carrier is not full-auto rated despite the same company also making the Gemtech SBC.
    Ok, I now understand the gas issue. I gave my SBR/suppressor a workout today. BCM ELW barrel and LMT-E carrier with PMC Bronze, GECO 223 Fed XM193, IMI M193 and IMI 77gr OTM. PMC bronze was a little gassy, same with Geco. The IMI 55gr and 77gr were pretty unbearable. I had to stop shooting a couple of times because of the gas to the face.

Sionics 11.5 RGP with NP3 carrier was about the same amount of "gassy-ness", especially the IMI 556.

I have a LaRue 18" barrel with a FA phosphate carrier was gassy with BH 223 and obnoxious with 556.

I see a Gemtech adj carrier in my near future.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Awesome videos guys.

How much does that SBR combo weigh?
    It's definitely not a light gun between the MRP and medium/heavy profile barrel, and 22 oz of Saker 762 on the end. Total weight is over 9 lbs including Micro T2 and G33 magnifier, empty.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I pretty much wrote off the Gemtech BCG when it first came out, and probably expressed those feelings here. This has changed my attitude a bit. Surely, it's not hard to imagine that I value the views of some over others. I place value on what you two express. I appreciate you guys sharing your experience.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I pretty much wrote off the Gemtech BCG when it first came out, and probably expressed those feelings here. This has changed my attitude a bit. Surely, it's not hard to imagine that I value the views of some over others. I place value on what you two express. I appreciate you guys sharing your experience.
    I was pretty skeptical, too. And I'm not happy with some things about the carriers. The 308 version can't fit an LMT MWS firing pin, for instance. The staking on the gas key on every carrier I have seen is messy, leaving large burrs. The gas key screws are YFS. Basically I replace the gas key and screws with Colt or BCM parts, and stake it with one of Ned's tools.

As far as performance goes, it's not a bandaid for a super overgassed gun, especially with short barrels. The gun needs to be reasonably gassed to begin with, and then the carrier works wonderfully. JoshNC's 10.5 Noveske barrel is good example. It definitely helps a little, but the barrel is overgassed so the recoil is a bit harsher and the rate of fire is faster than my MRP. I have also used the Gemtech carrier on my BCM 11.5" and it runs well in that.

Gemtech has some cyclic rate data available that shows how the carrier is able to keep the rate of fire closer between suppressed and unsuppressed settings with longer barrels, while short barrels don't see the same results (i.e. the Gemtech carrier can't quite slow down the rate of fire as much when suppressed).

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was pretty skeptical, too. And I'm not happy with some things about the carriers. The 308 version can't fit an LMT MWS firing pin, for instance. The staking on the gas key on every carrier I have seen is messy, leaving large burrs. The gas key screws are YFS. Basically I replace the gas key and screws with Colt or BCM parts, and stake it with one of Ned's tools.
    That's good to know. My MOACKS doesn't get much use, except when someone brings me an AR to look at.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have you compared the Bootleg carrier key and screws to the Gemtech?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Have you compared the Bootleg carrier key and screws to the Gemtech?
    Not sure if asking me, but no. I won't buy the bootleg because it's not full auto rated, and that's a requirement.

Feedback Score
    Slippers - are you noticing any excessive wear inside the upper receiver like others have reported? I would guess that the FA would accelerate any abnormal wear as well, if there is any.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Received the Gemtech BC last week. In tests at the range with a BCM 11.5" SBR and Noveske 10.5" SBR using a SICO Saker 5.56, the reduction of gas to the face was substantial. I could not determine if the recoil impulse was less than the standard BC. Using an H3 buffer and standard carbine recoil spring, I'd never had any previous issues with the buffer bottoming out in the buffer tube.

The gas key staking was OK on one screw and questionable on the other...noting that can't be fixed with a new screw and moacks.

We'll see how the Gemtech BC holds up for the long term...
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

As far as performance goes, it's not a bandaid for a super overgassed gun, especially with short barrels. The gun needs to be reasonably gassed to begin with, and then the carrier works wonderfully. JoshNC's 10.5 Noveske barrel is good example. It definitely helps a little, but the barrel is overgassed so the recoil is a bit harsher and the rate of fire is faster than my MRP. I have also used the Gemtech carrier on my BCM 11.5" and it runs well in that.

Gemtech has some cyclic rate data available that shows how the carrier is able to keep the rate of fire closer between suppressed and unsuppressed settings with longer barrels, while short barrels don't see the same results (i.e. the Gemtech carrier can't quite slow down the rate of fire as much when suppressed).
    Someone connected with Gemtech please persuade them to make a drop in BCG for our beloved LMT MWS weapon systems. They would sell one metric shit ton. Anybody running those guns with a can would sign up IMHO.

I gotta say, I want to grab one for my SBR's to play with. A member was kind enough to loan me one but I still never took the plunge. This thread may have cost me dearly.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-07-17 at 12:10.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast