Thread: 600+ yards and 5.56 - Need advice

Feedback Score

600+ yards and 5.56 - Need advice

I recently took out my new 18" spr with a vortex razor 1-6 mounted on it. At 500 yards, I was shooting 77gr SMK at full and half size silhouettes as well as a know your limits rack. Hits were not an issue however spotting them was very difficult.

This is a range toy first and a homestead coyote defender second. My goals are to shoot steel at 600 and beyond. Mostly 600-750 with the occasioal trip to 1000 when the weather permits (my local range does have cameras at 1k). What power optic do I need to spot hits at 750?

I can get a great deal on the new NF 2.5-10x42 (the optic I want to put on it) and the new USO B-17 3-17 (probably closer to what I need). I just don't want to mount a baseball bat on it. The ATACR F1 4-16 is definitely the best combo of size and magnification but my discount does not apply to that optic.

Those of you who have been there done that, what do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    I sprung for the ATACR F1 4-16 x42 and am totally happy with it, but several members have been very happy with the NF SHV 4-14x50. If I had to do it over I would have a hard time deciding. Do you get a discount on the SHV?
    In my opinion, I would want more than 10x for shooting beyond 700-800 yards. Not everyone agrees.

Also, If you are able to hang your own plates, a 1/4'' thick AR500 at that distance will move more and be louder than a typical 3/8'' plate. Just don't let anyone shoot heavy artillery at it.
    Last edited by P2000; 06-13-17 at 20:28. Reason: Added pic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've used my SHV 4-14 out to 550 yards on steel. I've been very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    The SHV would be my choice no questions asked if I didn't get a nice discount on the USO B-17. The two are roughly the same size and weight but I'm willing the spend the extra coin on the USO if that's what I feel I need.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have become a huge fan of the newer Leupold line, they're some amazingly capable scopes and honestly, I think for the price, better glass than a lot of other stuff I've looked through.
    The newer Leupold Mark 6 3-18 if you can find one is amazing, and for a lot of applications I think is a good deal. It's around that price point of the Nightforce, at ~$2199, maybe $2000 if you can find a deal. I'm with P2000 on wanting a bit more than 10x as well, and for using a 3-18x for cheaper? Yeah works for me. It is a bit heavy, but it is very comfortable on an 18" barrel, I have a rifle in the same configuration and at that point, if you are worried about rifle weight then take off a bipod and don't have a stainless steel barrel, etc. and you're not even looking at something that is easy to shoot 5.56 at those ranges.
    I'm also just getting into this whole side of distance shooting, but kind of what I've come across from my own journey into the rabbit hole related to my own questions the OP had.