Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder storage?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Powder storage?

I have recently moved to a different state and altitude recently and have my powder stored in original containers and have noticed that some of the one pound bottles have slightly collapsed, all of them being unopened. I opened one up and smelled to see if there was a difference, which I did not really think there was. Just wondering if it might have been the change in altitude which might have caused this? Use to live at 6500 now I am at 300. I have had most of the powder for about 5-9 years stockpiled

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It was likely the altitude change that caused the collapse of the jugs. Air pressure is lower at the higher altitude so when you moved to a lower elevation, the air pressure inside the jugs is lower than the outside atmosphere.

Open them up & let them equalize.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    That'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    Use to live at 6500 now I am at 300.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks, figured that was the case. Would have been more worried if they were bulging and smelled rancid

Feedback Score
    The one can of powder I've ever had go bad was very obvious when I opened the can (IMR 4895) that I had no doubt. Redish brown in color & very dusty. Nasty stuff, for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6500' to 300' MSL = about a 3 PSI difference, more than enough to push in a plastic powder can. Won't hurt it though.

Feedback Score
    I thought that plastic powder containers were sealed?

Are they not airtight?

Or is it that there's long-term seepage, and his powder containers all acclimated to 6,500 feet, and only collapsed when he suddenly moved to 300 feet?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I thought that plastic powder containers were sealed?

Are they not airtight?

Or is it that there's long-term seepage, and his powder containers all acclimated to 6,500 feet, and only collapsed when he suddenly moved to 300 feet?
    That hasn't been my experience at all. They are somewhat sealed, but certainly not airtight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    That hasn't been my experience at all. They are somewhat sealed, but certainly not airtight.
    I thought that I remembered that they came with seals over the openings, like bottles of aspirin, but it's been a while since I opened a new one, and I might be senile...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah they have an aspirin bottle looking "seal", but it isn't airtight. It's a piece of foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast