Thread: Specific multivitamins/dietary supplements

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Specific multivitamins/dietary supplements

I'm beginning a heavy training regimen in preparation for an intense and extended physical event in the next sixish months. If all works out, it'll lead to several more years of hard wear and tear on my body. I'm in decent shape but I've never been very good at eating a balanced diet and really taking care of myself, mostly due to laziness and ignorance. I'm working on improving that, but curious what the consensus is on multivitamins and/or dietary supplements. Not looking for weight loss, just something to help promote overall health and especially anything that will help mitigate injuries. I'm 26 and already have a bad knee and shoulder that manifest problems in other areas. One of my ongoing tasks is to read through all Will's recent nutrient deficiency thread and the massive T thread, but there's a lot going on at work right now so I have a lot of competing priorities. Any recommendations for a specific option would be appreciated.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Honestly if your eating properly and appropriately for your training program you'll be getting all of the vitamins and stuff you need from actual food. Especially at 26. At most IMO I'd rock a daily mens multivitamin, maybe a fish oil supp and that's it.

Most all OTC supplements are a waste. Again IMO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would find a doc and get a comprehensive set of blood work done to see if you have any deficiencies. For example, I have a Vit D deficiency (and I'll wager the majority of us do, too) and take a Vit D supplement. I also have lower magnesium levels, so I take a magnesium supplement as well. Since I don't eat enough veggies/fruits everyday, I take a serving of powdered greens daily to augment my evening salad. You can't go wrong with fish oil as well, the health benefits are numerous.

Some background on me...current medical student and yes, OTC supplements can be a waste of money if you're just picking random stuff off the shelf. Be smart about what your body is deficient in and work on addressing those deficiencies.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Things that science broadly agrees works/is helpful:

Vitamin D, because most of us either live too far north, spend too little time outside, or all of the above.
    Fish oil is extremely helpful and most of us do not eat a lot of fat fish.
    Creatine boosts exercise performance and has neuroprotective properties as well.
    Whey protein powder can both help build muscle mass, and help preserve it if you're trying to lose fat but retain your muscle.

Most other things are wasteful or do not have sufficient science-based evidence to be broadly recommended.

Feedback Score
    Currently doing a very low carb diet, just taking a mens daily multi vitamin to offset the loss of fruit in my diet. Also taking a c4 equivalent for pre workout.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    31 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Things that science broadly agrees works/is helpful:

Vitamin D, because most of us either live too far north, spend too little time outside, or all of the above.
    Fish oil is extremely helpful and most of us do not eat a lot of fat fish.
    Creatine boosts exercise performance and has neuroprotective properties as well.
    Whey protein powder can both help build muscle mass, and help preserve it if you're trying to lose fat but retain your muscle.

Most other things are wasteful or do not have sufficient science-based evidence to be broadly recommended.

This. Only thing to add is get blood work done and make sure you're getting enough zinc. Maybe a multi if you're in a calorie deficit or on a restricted diet. Pretty much everything else is throwing money in your toilet.