Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out-of-the-box accuracy

Feedback Score

Out-of-the-box accuracy

It appears (from listening to various people on the subject) that HK and CZ are close to the top of the heap when it comes to out-of-the-box accuracy. Is it tighter lockup, closer tolerances, or some other factor?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Hammer Forged barrel helps I'm sure ! Could be a mix of closer tolerances in the right spots also. I'm no expert but just a couple of my thoughts.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    It appears (from listening to various people on the subject) that HK and CZ are close to the top of the heap when it comes to out-of-the-box accuracy. Is it tighter lockup, closer tolerances, or some other factor?
    The lockup between the barrel hood and slide is where it really matters the most for Glock's, M&P's, HK's, CZ, Walthers, etc. For me, I would NEVER buy a pistol that I couldn't measure the lockup (with a feeler gauge) first. With that said, I have never seen an inaccurate HK or CZ.

C4

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Please clarify "measure lockup (with a feeler gauge)".
    How do you do this?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Please clarify "measure lockup (with a feeler gauge)".
    How do you do this?
    Remove the slide from the pistol. Remove the guide rod assembly. Hold the barrel in place (pulling it down ward so it rests against the front of the slide). Take the feeler gauge and place it between the hood and breech face of the slide. Keep changing the size of the feeler gauge until you can kit it between the two.

Ideally, you want something UNDER .003 on the feeler gauge.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a 1988 West German P226 that rattles like a tin can full of rocks. But it's the most accurate pistol I have. I'm gonna have to try the feeler gauge thing out of curiosity.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I have a 1988 West German P226 that rattles like a tin can full of rocks. But it's the most accurate pistol I have. I'm gonna have to try the feeler gauge thing out of curiosity.
    That is slide to frame fit (which really has nothing to do with accuracy).

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also remember ergonomics. Thats another piece of the puzzle of accuracy. CZ and Hk In my opinion have great ergonomics allowing me to shoot them better.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Remove the slide from the pistol. Remove the guide rod assembly. Hold the barrel in place (pulling it down ward so it rests against the front of the slide). Take the feeler gauge and place it between the hood and breech face of the slide. Keep changing the size of the feeler gauge until you can kit it between the two.

Ideally, you want something UNDER .003 on the feeler gauge.

C4
    ETA: Disregard, I'm picking up what you're throwing down.

Wouldn't this potentially show if a gun was on the high or low end of chamber headspace?
    Last edited by bp7178; 06-22-17 at 00:53.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by browneu View Post
    Also remember ergonomics. Thats another piece of the puzzle of accuracy. CZ and Hk In my opinion have great ergonomics allowing me to shoot them better.
    Not really. That is more to do with comfort. A Glock (which isn't considered very ergonomic), can produce sub 1" groups at 25yds.

C4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast