Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Feedback Score

getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Sirs,

Over the past few years, I've been filling in the gaps in my gear and training. Just about the only gap left is a .308 bolt gun (with the eventual adoption of a .300WM or 6.5 Creedmoor) with good glass to start learning how to call the wind, dope a rifle, and shoot groups out beyond 600m. I am settled on the .308 cartridge to start with for a number of reasons: availability of factory ammo, ease of reloading, the cross-over into .mil/LE usage, and that the .308 round provides a great training platform with fewer cheats. If I can shoot the .308 out to 800+ meters, a 6.5 CM will be a breeze.

Currently, I am looking at the Savage 10 FCP-SR. The aftermarket for these appears to be very robust. A fully bedded receiver, free floated barrel, the accutrigger, threaded muzzle, pic-rail for scopes... It seems to do everything that I need it to do, and more.

The only variations on this theme that I've been considering are a Tikka T3x, especially in the Lite configuration, and the good old fashioned Remington 700 series. Ideally, this rifle would be light enough to carry over hill and dale for hunting, in addition to shooting groups. I know, across purposes, but a man has only so much money and a need for only so many rifles.

For glass, I've been looking at Leupold and SWA, mostly in the 4x16ish range. Nightforce and Steiner are great, but again, a man has only so much money.

What should I be looking out for / what are the problems with what I've laid out above.

The Savage 10 FCP-SR is on sale right now for $579, and Savage is running at $100 mail-in-rebate... So that's precipitating a move on this particular issue. Ideally, the overall budget for this project will be at or around $1000, all in, being able to shoot out to 800m+.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-30-18 at 15:51. Reason: spelling, budget.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of the three rifles you mention, I would choose the Tikka over the other two.

Before you consider aftermarket upgrades to any boltgun you decide to purchase for this project, I would suggest putting as much $ as you can into glass. You will learn more from quality glass on any of the 3 rifles you mention than you can imagine. Once you get comfortable then you can start looking into upgrades. Check the classifieds here and on other precision shooting oriented sites, you can find very good glass at fair prices.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agree spend $$ on glass, and I'd go minimum for a Vortex PST over the tier 1 SWFAs. Everyone who looks through the 4-16X PST is impressed and I would have to go to a $1K to $1200 Sightron or Nightforce to get better glass.

Nothing wrong w/ a Savage, as I got the m10V heavy barrel, accu-stock & accu-trigger for $350 after rebates & sale price, in 308. But I'd now say go right for the 6.5 Creedmore. Using reloads duplicating 168-grn FGM match loads, she's a consistent 1/2 MOA arm to 200-yds, as haven't stretched her further - yet. I plan on trying the 175s for lomger distances.

Recommmend you read up on and shoot the Optimal Charge Weight method by Dan Newbury.

I got lucky on this 308 though, as it'll print cheap Fed Power Shok 150-grn hunting softpoints into groups 5/8"-3/4" all day long, and luckily I bought a ton whilst WallyWorld had if at $12/box.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

getting into the precision bolt game

I would say at the very bare minimum what you spent on the rifle should go into glass. Usually double for some depending on what you consider precision shooting and rifle cost. Spending $2k on glass even sitting on a $1k rifle is even common.
    Last edited by SilentRecon; 06-15-17 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    I would say at the very bare minimum what you spent on the rifle should go into glass. Usually double for some depending on what you consider precision shooting and rifle cost. Spending $2k on glass even sitting on a $1k rifle is even common.
    While I am not against having good glass on the rifle, and will be spending easily more on the optic than on the rifle itself, there is a point of diminishing returns / cost over-run, at least for me. The very highest tier of cost that I can justify on this first go-around is something in the $1200 range for the optic, and even then, that will put off actually finishing the gear portion of the project for quite a while (perhaps indefinitely), and will eat into money/time that would be better spent actually going shooting. This is a training project, not a competitive rifle, nor a rifle that I'll be carrying into a fight.

A Primary Arms Platinum / Nightforce is about the cap for what I can reasonably justify on this project.

Currently, the Vortex HS-T 6-24 looks like the best cost::quality ratio going. I do have a soft spot for Leupold scopes, though, and they have a variable in a similar range that looks good.

I'll try and find a Tikka at a nearby store to handle. Finding Savages isn't too hard.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    While I am not against having good glass on the rifle, and will be spending easily more on the optic than on the rifle itself, there is a point of diminishing returns / cost over-run, at least for me. The very highest tier of cost that I can justify on this first go-around is something in the $1200 range for the optic, and even then, that will put off actually finishing the gear portion of the project for quite a while (perhaps indefinitely), and will eat into money/time that would be better spent actually going shooting. This is a training project, not a competitive rifle, nor a rifle that I'll be carrying into a fight.

A Primary Arms Platinum / Nightforce is about the cap for what I can reasonably justify on this project.

Currently, the Vortex HS-T 6-24 looks like the best cost::quality ratio going. I do have a soft spot for Leupold scopes, though, and they have a variable in a similar range that looks good.

I'll try and find a Tikka at a nearby store to handle. Finding Savages isn't too hard.
    Absolutely Correct on diminishing returns. I'd definitely only buy glass for it's intended purpose and how far you intend shooting. Nightforce makes a excellent choice and nothing wrong with Leupold they make quality stuff too. Everyone has a budget and good shooters can make a NCStar perform at 1000 yards.

Have you looked into IOR Valdada?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I hate to throw in another option for you to look at, but I would take a serious look at the Bergara B-14 HMR.

Oops nvm, saw the budget haha.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-15-17 at 12:40.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it was me I would save longer and get one of the turnkey rifles.

RPR
    Tikka TAC A1
    Stealth (meh)

Or for sure one of the Bergara rifles.

As far as scope you can get away with a lot of different options. My first optic was a Vortex PST 6X24. I sold that and moved up to a Razor 4.5X27.

Well the Razor got out on a full custom build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    If it was me I would save longer and get one of the turnkey rifles.

RPR
    Tikka TAC A1
    Stealth (meh)

Or for sure one of the Bergara rifles.
    Advice to spend more than my total budget on just a rifle is a kind of a no-go. Unless you want to start a go-fund-me for this project, spending that kind of dough on just the rifle won't happen. I am not expecting to get into and win competitions. Just learn how to get reliable hits at extreme ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    As far as scope you can get away with a lot of different options. My first optic was a Vortex PST 6X24. I sold that and moved up to a Razor 4.5X27.
    The PST seems to get a lot of play.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    Absolutely Correct on diminishing returns. I'd definitely only buy glass for it's intended purpose and how far you intend shooting. Nightforce makes a excellent choice and nothing wrong with Leupold they make quality stuff too. Everyone has a budget and good shooters can make a NCStar perform at 1000 yards.

Have you looked into IOR Valdada?
    Glad to know that my head is in the right spot re: what I am trying to accomplish and what budget that I need to be thinking about.

I haven't checked out Valdada optics at all. They appear to be pricey, and on par cost-wise with Nightforce offerings. What's the short-sheet on considering them?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast