Thread: getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Sirs,

Over the past few years, I've been filling in the gaps in my gear and training. Just about the only gap left is a .308 bolt gun (with the eventual adoption of a .300WM or 6.5 Creedmoor) with good glass to start learning how to call the wind, dope a rifle, and shoot groups out beyond 600m. I am settled on the .308 cartridge to start with for a number of reasons: availability of factory ammo, ease of reloading, the cross-over into .mil/LE usage, and that the .308 round provides a great training platform with fewer cheats. If I can shoot the .308 out to 800+ meters, a 6.5 CM will be a breeze.

Currently, I am looking at the Savage 10 FCP-SR. The aftermarket for these appears to be very robust. A fully bedded receiver, free floated barrel, the accutrigger, threaded muzzle, pic-rail for scopes... It seems to do everything that I need it to do, and more.

The only variations on this theme that I've been considering are a Tikka T3x, especially in the Lite configuration, and the good old fashioned Remington 700 series. Ideally, this rifle would be light enough to carry over hill and dale for hunting, in addition to shooting groups. I know, across purposes, but a man has only so much money and a need for only so many rifles.

For glass, I've been looking at Leupold and SWA, mostly in the 4x16ish range. Nightforce and Steiner are great, but again, a man has only so much money.

What should I be looking out for / what are the problems with what I've laid out above.

The Savage 10 FCP-SR is on sale right now for $579, and Savage is running at $100 mail-in-rebate... So that's precipitating a move on this particular issue. Ideally, the overall budget for this project will be at or around $1000, all in, being able to shoot out to 800m+.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-30-18 at 15:51. Reason: spelling, budget.