Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Coming from owning a Savage Varmint action and doing a full build on it I would not do it again.

I tried and tried to get the Savage to run and plain and simple it's extraction design is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

getting into the precision bolt game

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Glad to know that my head is in the right spot re: what I am trying to accomplish and what budget that I need to be thinking about.

I haven't checked out Valdada optics at all. They appear to be pricey, and on par cost-wise with Nightforce offerings. What's the short-sheet on considering them?
    Yes they are but IOR makes some extremely quality glass for the money and can be found at a nice price on lower models (still very nice glass) or used. I have a IOR Eliminator 1-10x DFP which is discontinued and it was worth every penny.
    Last edited by SilentRecon; 06-15-17 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    ,i tried and tried to get the Savage to run and plain and simple it's extraction design is terrible.
    Have you tried replacing the SS bearing under the extractor to a larger size? Plenty of info about this on the Savage rifle forums.

Feedback Score
    T3X CTR is where it is at. Pair with a PST gen II or swfa.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Tikka T3 is a real shooter, or a good used Remington 700 heavy barrel 308, either of these should fit in your budget well. The Remington would probably be the best choice because of the aftermarket support. Once you go down the rabbit hole of long range shooting, you'll appreciate that fact.

As far as glass goes the Vortex PST gen II 5-25 Mil/Mil has really impressed me so far. A good Bushnell 3.5-21 or Burris XTR 5-25 would also fit the bill. Shop the optics here and on Snipers hide and you should be able to find a good one used. Make sure you get matching turrets and reticle Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA.

Invest the rest in a good kestrel to help you learn wind and weather, and a truck load of ammo. The 168gr American Eagle match is really good stuff for training ammo if your working 600m and in. The good news on a 308 is barrel life, you'll be able to put thousands down range before you need a new one.

Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Have you tried replacing the SS bearing under the extractor to a larger size? Plenty of info about this on the Savage rifle forums.
    Yes it had a complete upgraded extractor, bearing and spring from NSS.

It failed with the upgraded kit and then I replaced it back with stock parts. It worked for a bit and then began to fail again. So it had two different kits put in under 400 rounds and they both broke.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another option would be to pick up a Rem 700 Varmint model and put it in a new stock. Thats what I did on my last precision build. The stock they come with is pure garbage and made the groups very inconsistent. Once I dropped it into a B&C stock it was a consistent .75-.9 MOA rifle with factory match ammo and .6-.75 MOA rifle with handloads.

My total cost of that rifle (factory rifle, stock, BDL bottom metal) was under 800 bucks. I shot a 6.5 inch 5 round group at 900 yards with that rifle using 178 grain AMAX handloads.

That rifle started out with a 6-24 PST on it and a traded that out for a Nightforce NXS that my friend sold to me for a ridiculous price.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    optics option..... steiner t5xi they are really great scopes excellent glass and sometime you can pick them up for a steal on the HIDE or on sale from places like scope list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am in the same boat. Sort of. I'm about to put together my first bolt gun as well but my budget is a bit higher. In your case to get close to your 1K limit I would recommend the TiKka T3x every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I have very limited bolt gun experience but the few that I have handled (RPR, Rem700 and Tikka T3) the Tikka had the smoothest action.

I think the non HD SWFA 3-15 seems to be a great scope based on what owners have said on SnipersHide.

My plan is to order a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in early August. I already have a Steiner Military 4-16 that I picked up used on SnipersHide.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Go Tikka for sure, strong and smooth action.

Save up for good glass. It does matter. I prefer my Night Force over my T5 Steiner , shop around on the Hide. Guys there are always off loading glass.

I would 6.5 Creedmoor. About the same price on ammo, but the benefits of the 6.5 out weigh the difference in costs

my wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast