Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: getting into the precision bolt game. UPDATE: Pics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Its a sickness .....I just spent $1200 on a Defiance Machine action yesterday..My wife did a double take. "its not a rifle?no barrel? no stock??" It will be awesome when done though...leaning towards 6.5x47 Lapua
    They are very nice. I have a nitrided one in 6.5 CM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I gotta take a moment and chuckle. You entered into this adventure thinking your budget was 1K. I didn't even comment, because at $1K you ain't even getting in the game. I mean this lighthearted, and I'm in no way dogging you out. It's just not possible to get anything "serious" for $1K gun and glass. Can it be done? I guess, but again, I said not seriously. The bottom end scope I would even consider would be a NF SHV 4-14, and it's $1200. That's a base model ENTRY level.

Anyway, you listened, took some advise, shopped around, and put together a nice sounding stick. Congratulations man. I have spent some time around the Tikkas, the guys I know that have them love em. Same for your glass. That's a nice scope for a first rifle. It'll damn sure get you started.

Please follow up, and let us know how it all goes. Oh, congratulations, and welcome to the addiction. ��
    Yeah, bro. I started it thinking one way, but the research just pointed in a different direction. Like, I am sure you can build a 1km $1000 rifle. MAC did it on youtube. It can be done. But, do I want that rifle to by my only bolt gun? It's a cool project piece, and demonstrates that a good shooter can make just about any boomstick work, but that wasn't really my goal.

As I defined the objective (800m first shot torso hits, etc.), it became clearer and clearer that the project was going to skid sideways on me. The revelation Shut Up And Save came quickly.

Anyway, big thanks to all of the cats that helped me un**** my otherwise silly notions of what I was going to accomplish with what sum of cash. Currently, I am just waiting for the shipping notification from Whittaker Guns letting me know that the Tikka is on the way. Everything else is set. After it comes, I'll have to learn how to set / bed the base, mount the rings, get the scope level and plumb, and then zero'd. I am planning on attending a precision rifle class in December, so I'll be on a pretty serious schedule to get the thing put together, printing, and ready to go by then.

Feedback Score
    Most cost effective way to do that is to get a Ruger RPR and a good scope.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Most cost effective way to do that is to get a Ruger RPR and a good scope.
    People should do this to see if they even like precision rifle. That setup is capable and get you out to 1K easy. Mine will be for sale soon enough, once the AI gets here.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Gotta say you caught me off guard as I started reading this thread. I was ready to plead you into an SHV Nightforce and you bought the big dick daddy from Cinnicinatti scope. I owned one Tikka and loved it. I dig Seekins rings too.

You should be real happy. Role up some nice SMK's or buy a nice lot of 175 FGMM and learn on Brother.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

getting into the precision bolt game

Where are you located and may I ask who you will be attending a class with?

Also did you get the 6.5 or the .308? I'm so confused. You said you were stuck on a .308 but said you went with the 6.5?

Are you reloading or shooting factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 10-05-17 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    So, here we are, seven months later.

The rifle was assembled about two months ago, and I just now got a chance to shoot it. The CORE class was a bust because my work is the absolute worst.

Took the rifle out today. Finally. With the assistance of a buddy, got it zeroed and the ATACR zero stops set (badass). Three shots touching at 100y.

On to the 300.

I hand the rifle to my buddy, and he puts up a sub moa group with factory Winchester soft point hunting ammo.

To the 600.

My first shot out of the rifle at the 600y line, and my first shot ever out of any rifle at 600y: dead center of a 2/3rds IPSC.

Remember, the goal was first shot torso at 800, and my first shot at 600, maybe the 25th shot out of the rifle in total, was a dead nuts hit.

The barrel profile is thin, so it heats up fast and opens up, but this was never intended to be just an all day bench rifle. The thing is a fricken lazerbeam. I can't wait to figure out what factory ammo it likes (maybe Winchester soft points?), then acquire hand loading gear and cook up a load. I wouldn't be surprised if a skillful shooter could milk half moa out of the thing.

Mission success. Pics to follow.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-29-18 at 01:25. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You made a fine choice going with the Tikka. You have one of the nicest factory actions currently on the market. Same with the ATACR. Once you find a factory round the rifle likes, or start rollin' your own, you will really get hooked on this precision crap

I don't know if you plan on making any aftermarket upgrades to the rifle, but if you do, I would suggest getting a pile of rounds down range first. That way, when you upgrade something (aftermarket stock, trigger, re-barrel) you will get to really appreciate how much better the rifle can get.

Have fun!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    You made a fine choice going with the Tikka. You have one of the nicest factory actions currently on the market. Same with the ATACR. Once you find a factory round the rifle likes, or start rollin' your own, you will really get hooked on this precision crap

I don't know if you plan on making any aftermarket upgrades to the rifle, but if you do, I would suggest getting a pile of rounds down range first. That way, when you upgrade something (aftermarket stock, trigger, re-barrel) you will get to really appreciate how much better the rifle can get.
    Yes, this. I don't shoot Tikka (I have Remmy's), but the ones I have, have been very nice. You have one job before you: shoot, shoot, shoot.

Feedback Score
    Pics of the rifle in the wild.

20180128_155356.jpg

IMG-20180129-WA0033.jpg

The first is me and my buddy at the range. He's a magician with a rifle.

The second is a 3 shot group that he put up at 300y as his first rounds with the rifle. Hunting soft tips. Nothing fancy, but sub 3" at 300 yards. As soon as he saw that, he said, 'we're going to 600, and you're making hits all day long.'

He was right.

The optic is incredible. Super crisp and clear, even at 600, with no real distortion whatever. Great visibility. Everyone that looked through it commented that it's great. Being that it is the first serious optic that I've used, I can't really weigh in.

The rifle started to open up as the day went on. The barrel got hot, and I hadn't broken it in or cleaned it at all, so that's not too terribly surprising.

Eventually, I'll be getting an Atlas bipod and an LSS chassis system for it.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-30-18 at 15:53.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast