Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spend more on scope?

Feedback Score

Spend more on scope?

Hello All,

I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting. I got a really good deal on a Remington 700P in 300 Win Mag and I'm looking for an optic.

So, I've got a $900 rifle. What I would normally do is put something like a Nightforce C507 5.5-22 on it. But, I'm wondering if it's silly to mount a scope that costs twice what the rifle does.
    I'm also looking at:

o Nightforce C534 SHV 5-20 for about $1200
    o Leupold VX3 6.5-230 for $700
    o Vortex PST 6-24 for $750

As I said, this is my first foray info long range shooting so any advice would be appreciated.

JRC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Why not put the expensive one on? I have a howa 6.5 that i put a $1900 scope on and it made the rifle that much better/easier to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It's very common for precision rifles to have optics 2, 3, 4, 5x as much as the rifle. Not uncommon at all. Find out what you want to do, and what you need in a scope and there are some great people here that can guide you in the correct direction.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    That's the sort of opinions I'm looking for

JRC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting. I got a really good deal on a Remington 700P in 300 Win Mag and I'm looking for an optic.

No, absolutely not. I compare it to high end photography gear. Your camera body will always (or should) cost less than your lens. High quality glass is expensive, be it for a rifle or a precision rifle.

If you only spent $700 for the rifle, you probably will be spending *at least* twice or three times that for a quality scope.

You could go cheap though if you want, but quality glass is a joy.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I try to buy the best glass I can afford for the type of shooting I intend to do and have never regretted it. Even when I upgrade the rifle, I rarely part with the optic. I would consider a FFP optic with matching reticle and turrets if you think you'll be shooting at multiple targets and/or at multiple ranges. Otherwise, a SFP scope like the ones you listed will be fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd consider spending even more. You'll get hooked on bolt gunning. And you will always have your good glass to move to another rifle later. Consider the NSX nightforce scopes. I hate shooting anything less.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are you MIL/LEO or an ex member?

If you are then for sure spend a little more and get a Vortex. They have an awesome discount.

That made my choice pretty simple anyway. I got a 4.5x27 for a crazy deal during Black Friday.

If it was me I would look to a 5x25 Gen II PST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So many great choices available, it's mind-numbing...

I ended up taking a different approach to scope selection: I made mechanical quality and durability top requirements with optical quality and reticle design as the only other considerations. With those priorities in mind and a $1000 budget, I ended up with a SWFA 10X42 HD. It isn't variable power and has no reticle illumination, but it's made in Japan, build like a tank, has great turrets and accurate tracking, very decent optical quality and a reticle design I have come to appreciate. If you Google reviews of this scope, you will find it universally gets plenty of praise for the above-mentioned attributes - this one IMO covers it well.

I know fixed-power scopes are no longer popular, but IMO are still worth a look....I remain quite happy with mine.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 06-24-17 at 07:22.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I too have recently gotten into LR shooting and everything I've learned to date is that your optics are where the $$$$ is. Rule of thumb is your optics should cost you at least as much as the gun if not 2-3 times more. Personally I'm a Nightforce Fanboy. Running a BEAST on my .338 LM and .300 WM. ATACR 4-16 on my .308. I've been well pleased with the quality and durability of the glass. And they also have a MIL/LEO discount program that can save you a couple hundred on their scopes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast