Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spend more on scope?

Feedback Score
    The concern I have with expensive optics is that they can (and do) fail/have issues. Optics are similar to iphones/computers, keep getting better and prices for the same features/quality keep going down. Older versions don't have a lot of value.

I would/did go the disposable optic route with Bushnell's DMRi/LRTSi. New, the average guy price is ~1300, special guy price is ~900. Nice features, good warranty, and good reports of tracking etc. Sure, the glass is not the best but it is good enough.

Premier is out of business now. Would not pay more than 1K for a used and functional scope.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 09-11-17 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    The concern I have with expensive optics is that they can (and do) fail/have issues. Optics are similar to iphones/computers, keep getting better and prices for the same features/quality keep going down. Older versions don't have a lot of value.

I would/did go the disposable optic route with Bushnell's DMRi/LRTSi. New, the average guy price is ~1300, special guy price is ~900. Nice features, good warranty, and good reports of tracking etc. Sure, the glass is not the best but it is good enough.

Premier is out of business now. Would not pay more than 1K for a used and functional scope.
    Get a Vortex Razor. Their warranty is legit.

Feedback Score
    (almost) any off the shelf modern bolt action rifle will shoot MOA or better as far as the cartridge will allow. However, you'll never get the performance out of it without a quality aiming system - this includes the mount. You don't have to spend a lot to get quality... the pricing is dependent on features. You can get excellent fixed magnification scopes that track properly that wont blow a budget. Prices go up when you factor magnification range, adjustment range, reticle (Horus will bump the price $300 on almost any scope), zero stop, illumination, and other features.

I think you first need to define what you'll be doing with it. I know guys who think longer range shooting is 300 yards. I don't think I would advocate for someone to get $2k glass if they are shooting at ranges that require almost no adjustment. However, if you're shooting at ranges where you need to know your drops and need to dial/hold... then you need quality glass to get the most out of your rifle, experience, and time. There are many choices for top tier glass and they're all pretty much the same with few exceptions.

I would recommend at least reading "Long Range Shooting Handbook" by Ryan Cleckner before you spend any big money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    On my bolt gun, my optic runs about 2x the rifle cost. I’ve never regretted buying good glass. That said, if you are new into precision shooting I would recommend getting something decent for now and spend more on ammo. You can upgrade later but the best equipment won’t make you a better shooter than putting quality rounds down range.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    Just another voice to chime in regarding spending big money on the optic.

I put together a bolt gun with the goal of first shot hits on a man sized target out to 800m, and ended up with a rifle that will be able to do that with relative ease.

But, the ease at that range comes from the optic. The rifle is mechanically capable, and if I do my part, it will put them where I send them... But I have to see the target, differentiate it, and have the clarity / quality to get precise placements. Easily the best money that I spent on the project was my ATACR 4-16 F1.

A buddy looked through it and, on the drive back from the range, said that it is probably the best scope he's ever looked through. He has had significantly more exposure to various optics than I have at this point, and he is also probably the most gifted shooter I've ever seen first hand. So, his views on the subject matter. For what it's worth, he uses a NF SHV for his precision rig. Either way, more money spent on glass will result in more hits with less time spent chasing the niggling details of how to get there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123