Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spend more on scope?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here is a decent deal over on Snipers Hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting. I got a really good deal on a Remington 700P in 300 Win Mag and I'm looking for an optic.

So, I've got a $900 rifle. What I would normally do is put something like a Nightforce C507 5.5-22 on it. But, I'm wondering if it's silly to mount a scope that costs twice what the rifle does.
    I'm also looking at:

o Nightforce C534 SHV 5-20 for about $1200
    o Leupold VX3 6.5-230 for $700
    o Vortex PST 6-24 for $750

As I said, this is my first foray info long range shooting so any advice would be appreciated.

JRC
    Best thing I was taught was spend your money on the best scope you can find and stick it any rifle and you will be happy. You have it right. Forget what the rifle is and put your big investment in the scope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Spend as much as you can afford on glass. A good optic will help you shoot the gun to the best of your abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    If your going to DIAL your shots you HAVE to have a top notch scope that has reliable AND precise mechanical tracking.

Scopes are like suppressors, buy once cry once. you'll use it on something else down the road if you get a good one.
    www.instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars

Sig Tango 6 FFL 5.56/7.62 moa 1-6x24 FOR SALE PM ME**

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you're shooting under 300 yards, pretty much anything that is mechanically accurate to what you dial will be fine.

Out to 600, you should definitely consider some decent glass.

Past 600, it just plain sucks to use crappy scopes.

Vortex Razor Gen 2 in MRAD 4.5-27x EBR2C... older but a great choice. Mile High had a great price last Black Friday. Mostly around $2,200 or so shipped. Worth the $$$ IMO

PST gen2 5-25x is considered the current "best value" but I've never used one (I had the gen2 1-6x and it was very good).

Feedback Score
    Someone once told me that a $100 rifle with $1000 optic will outshoot a $1000 rifle with a $100 optic every time.

My $400 or so Savage rifle wears a Bushnell elite tactical that runs about $1600. If I do my part (which can still use improvement), it sees and hits all the way out to 1100yds.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would get into a Kahles, S&B, or Minox before a Razor. Own all 4 along with TT315P and while the razor is a good optic, it is my least favorite out them. One just went for 1750 new in box yesterday over on the hide. Most folks are now getting into the Kahles 624i SKMR3 or the Minox with MR4 over the razor. They are going for 22-2400 give or take new over on the Hide if your patient new in box. Most are items folks pick up off prize tables and are selling them it seems. If you were set on a Razor euro optic has them for 2200 new right now. I just think there are better scopes to be had, that weigh less for the same price point these days. I also own Bushnells in the elite tac ERS and Elite 6500 scopes and a Leupold MK6 3-18 with Horus. While those are decent also, nothing really touches the TT, Kahles, or Minox right now. If you have the funds to pick one up, you will never even consider a Viper PST for any rifle ever again. The difference is just crazy. Comparing apples and oranges of course.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Not to plug another forum, but as an earlier comment stated check snipers hide..You can find good deals on used top notch glass. I picked up a used US Optics there that I have been running for years..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Not to plug another forum, but as an earlier comment stated check snipers hide..You can find good deals on used top notch glass. I picked up a used US Optics there that I have been running for years..
    Yep, used glass on The Hide is a great place to see a lot of stuff and the prices are pretty controlled.

Here is how I look at scopes:
    feature wise: illumination, Mag range, zero stop, tooless zero, tube diameter, parallax
    Performance: glass and mechanicals

You got the first level:
    No Illumination on simple reticle.
    Second focal plane and questionable mechanical and glass quality. Good for once in awhile hunting or target shooting

Then the next level
    Mag range is 4-6x
    First focal plane
    Maybe A zero stop
    30mm tube
    50mm objective
    50m min paralax
    5mils per turn knobs

Top Tier:
    Mag range is 6-8x
    FFP
    10-15m min parallax
    'Christmas tree' reticle
    Zero Stop
    34mm tube
    56mm objective
    10+ mils per knob turn

And the feel of the knobs and the repeatability of the turns increases as you go higher. The optical quality and the field of view and eye relief all change with price too.

The amazing thing is that the features per dollar is falling fast. Mentioned above is the Vortex PST II 5-25. I'm ordering one now that I found. It has the features I'm looking for in a trainer scope. About $1000. But they are hard to find.

New scopes come out and older ones resale seems to go down as the market tries to balance a bit as people are willing to shoot new glass at a lower level over used high end glass. Then there is the recent S&B sale at $2500 for a 5-25, which is about the same price as a Vortex high-end Razor II 4.5-27.

To me, good scopes are to be had at $1000. At $2000 you get into the 'no excuses' range.

I'm still looking at deals on Premier 3-15 and 5-25s. I have a 3-15 and it is just a tank. It is totally transparent to me when I am shooting. I don't pay attention to it. I think of what I want to do to make the dial, dial it on or hold over.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I will echo what the majority have said. Spend the money on the optics! I've had everything from 500 dollar leupoldsto 3k nightforce optics, and there is a huge difference. If you're trying to reach out past 500 yards, you need an optic that is precise and repeatable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast