Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for general purpose carbine build? (14.5" or 16") (BCM vs DD vs LWRC etc)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlw613sp View Post
    A lower (complete or stripped) is neither a shotgun or rifle. It is a firearm. ONLY shotguns and rifles specifically have their age set at 18. Everything else is 21.
    Regarding the 4473, I can't remember the exact option, but 'Other' (or similar) is correct for a stripped or complete lower.
    This is a federal thing. No state will be more lenient, although many may be even stricter.
    That makes sense. I guess I'd always thought that my FFL checking other on stripped lowers was as a favor of sorts; giving us the option to do what we'd like with the eventual build. The first time I'd bought one from him, I'd been taking to a friend who occasionally helped out at that particular shop. I'd told him I wasn't sure if I'd go pistol or rifle, and he said something like, "Well, just make sure he checks 'other' on the form." Maybe I just misconstrued what he'd said, and it was actually to the effect of, "It's okay, because it'll be marked as 'other' on the form."

Thanks for the clarification!
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Are you challenging your own statement?

On a more serious note, that's an interesting point on needing to be a complete rifle purchase if under 21. Isn't there a section on the 4473 where the FFL needs to select rifle, pistol, etc. when selling a lower? If "rifle" is selected, shouldn't that suffice? AFAIK, if I bought a stripped lower and the shop sold it as a "rifle", I can't put a short barrel on it; even with a pistol tube. Stupid...yes. But, if that check mark on the 4473 is really all that matters, a rifle is a rifle. Complete or not.

Outside of the bad joke I led with, I'm genuinely interested to know what law/statute/regulation would bar a person over 18, but under 21, from buying any firearm the ATF would consider a rifle.
    I think you're confusing posters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I think you're confusing posters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol! Wow. No way to get around that error.

I guess I saw the "t", followed by some numbers, and it registered as the same user.

Go home Kdubya, you're drunk.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any decent barrel with halfway decent ammo will hit a target out to 600 yards no problem.

Go to G&R and just pick one that you like. Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, and I would also look at Sionics though I dont think Grant carries them.

As far as barrel length I would go with 16 inches. The difference in overall length is actually less than 1.5 inches once you weld the extended muzzle device to get past 16 inches total. Plus with a 16 inch barrel anything you decide to change is just plug and play. With a welded muzzle device you are going to have to have it drilled/cut off to change certain things. And there is no guarantee the muzzle device you had on there wont get destroyed in the process.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Faxon needs to update that flash hider. But the other benefits outweigh aesthetics, if one wants a hassle free 14.5
    Submit your designs and we can look at them.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Submit your designs and we can look at them.

My crayon skills still need improvement.

A reduced diameter of the birdcage would be a good starting point for a more standard/classic look that would fit the Faxon's market.

Or if CMT could make this .07 smaller in diameter for Faxon:

https://www.cmttac.com/COMBAT-FLASH-COMPENSATOR

It's only the muzzle devices that keep me from trying one of these barrels myself. But I love the concept.

Feedback Score
    I really like my friend's BCM recce, I would roll with their recce 16, 14.5 is great but you need to make sure you got the muzzle device you want, I'm a big fan of the surefire warcomp. It does a great job of keeping your muzzle flat but doesn't give off flash or have crazy concussion. It also works as a suppressor adapter. I think the BCM is the best route because you get a solid trigger, a comp, a bcm charging handle, and better furniture (personal opinion) over the daniel defense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I realize most don't prefer them but most of my carbines are 14.5 and one other SBR. For me it's the right length, the military actually got this one right. However because of pinning it may not be your answer as it certainly can limit you if you want to change it later. For most 16" is a better choice. As far as manufacturers goes I'm not a fan of LWRC for the purposes you stated. I've owned several DD and generally liked them but by far I prefer BCM. They are my preferred brand with the exception of a precision type rifle in an AR.
    Faxon offers a 14-1/2" barrel with a pinned and welded slim flash hider or slim brake that is the same diameter as the gas journal, so you can switch and change until your heart's content.

Feedback Score
    I personally like the 14.5 it does sound crazy that the approx. 1.5" can make a difference but it does IMO.

The only reason I wouldn't get a 14.5 is if you're not the type of person to stick with a barrel and rail combo. That is until your barrel is shot out and needs to be replaced. If all you do is play barbies with your upper the 16"+ is the ticket. That's the way I see it.

Feedback Score
    Exactly, I have a bcm with a 14.5" pinned with a surefire mb556k and I love the combination. My next rifle will be the ddm4v7 slw.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast