Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for general purpose carbine build? (14.5" or 16") (BCM vs DD vs LWRC etc)

Feedback Score

Suggestions for general purpose carbine build? (14.5" or 16") (BCM vs DD vs LWRC etc)

Have more money coming my way and I'm deciding on purchasing or building a new AR rifle. I like balance and I like things to be able to fit into multiple roles, therefore I'm looking to build a somewhat more "general purpose" AR.
    No, I don't mean an AR that can hit accurately out to 750 Yards and be able to be stuffed into a backpack.
    I'm looking for a carbine length rifle, where I would keep a variable zoom 1-4x (or 1-6x) optic, and a 45 degree canted red dot. Looking for something that I can maneuver easily with but also be able to reach out and touch someone at a decent distance.

I'm looking for suggestions for either a complete pre-built rifle, or a custom build. I'd like to keep the rifle under $1,750. (Or around there) WITHOUT the optics.

Suggestions on a parts list?

What length barrel would best suit this rifle? I'm living in Washington if anyone wants an idea of the area. I'm debating between a 14.5" (Pinned) and a 16".
    I'd like to stay away from a match grade barrel, I am planning on shooting this a lot.

Thank you
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Forget 14.5 " barrel unless you have a specific reason for it (hint they are very few and far between) as they are too limiting for future barrel/handguard/MD work.

With that budget, the sky is the limit. Do you have the tools and know-how for a build? Also, consider SIONICS.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-16-17 at 11:16. Reason: added link
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    This is what I built last summer. Aero upper and lower, Colt 14.5" SOCOM Barrel, Colt BCG, ALG ACT trigger, White Oak Armament LPK, Daniel Defense Omega 7" rail, and a BCM receiver extension with a B5 SOPMOD stock. It's a Plain Vanilla rifle and not very exotic, but that's what I wanted. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha, I'll save 14.5" (or 10.5") for my pistol build. Figured the 1.5" wouldn't make too huge a difference and i'd be good with a 16".

I do not have the tools, nor do I have the armorers experience. The most work i've done on a gun is swap out the stock, forend, mag tube and follower on an 870. (Which isn't much lol).

I do have friends who know how to build rifles, since I'm under 21 attempting to purchase a stripped lower in Washington, i'll probably need my FFL friend to put at least some of it together and transfer it to me.

I know my budget is pretty solid, and that I can pretty much build whatever I want... hence why I'm asking, too many options haha.
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    titsonritz is right. For that kind of money, take your pick. As for barrel length, I only have one 14.5" and that is due to the fact that I got a good deal on the upper. It is used fairly heavily but changing rail systems out or even the BC 1.5 thats on it is a no go unless I pay someone to do it or get the courage to drill a pinned barrel.

If this is your first AR, go 16. When you start playing with different muzzle devices and wanting to try different rails, you'll understand why.
    Last edited by Don't Tread On Me; 06-16-17 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    Yes haha I know I can pick whatever I want, hence why I'm asking for suggestions!
    Any good pre-builts that would fit this role well? What would be a good parts list for custom?

Feedback Score
    Colt OEM 2, spend the rest on parts.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Get this directly from BCM. $903 with BCG and CH. https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Prod...FH-ELW-KMR-A15 and this from Grant. $625 with BCM stock and SSA trigger.http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...key=LWR-BCM-A5 Spend the rest on a set of offset sights. An offset RD is a waste of $$$ when you have a LPV scope.

Feedback Score
    Nice! Thank you. Looks good!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    Gotcha, I'll save 14.5" (or 10.5") for my pistol build. Figured the 1.5" wouldn't make too huge a difference and i'd be good with a 16".
    Actually it is closer to 1" since a 16" can use an A2 and a 14.5" would use an A2X.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    I do have friends who know how to build rifles, since I'm under 21 attempting to purchase a stripped lower in Washington, i'll probably need my FFL friend to put at least some of it together and transfer it to me.
    You can always buy a complete lower (obviously would be registered as a rifle) and an upper separately and save a few buck on the full rifle cost excise tax.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast