Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for general purpose carbine build? (14.5" or 16") (BCM vs DD vs LWRC etc)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My DDM4V7 that I have turned into a RECCE build fills this role for me personally. I've got decent hits out to 500 yards consistently using wolf steel cased 5.56. 10" plate, Steiner P4XI 1-4x scope.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    When I purchase a complete lower, what do I write on the ATF form? I'd likely be purchasing it online, so it would get shipped to an FFL.
    I'm under 21, so would the store let me?
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    When I purchase a complete lower, what do I write on the ATF form? I'd likely be purchasing it online, so it would get shipped to an FFL.
    I think because a lower can be considered a pistol, you have to be 21 to purchase one. When I lived in WA I couldn't buy a stripped lower from a gun store in Idaho for these exact reasons.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Take lwrc out of the title. It's making me want to puke.

Feedback Score
    Yep, a lower receiver is legally considered a "Firearm" neither a rifle nor a pistol. Therefore you need to be 21 to buy one :/
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    Personally I would go 14.5 barrel, still get the velocity and accuracy and just a little more compact, and you can find BCM lowers for a good price and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I realize most don't prefer them but most of my carbines are 14.5 and one other SBR. For me it's the right length, the military actually got this one right. However because of pinning it may not be your answer as it certainly can limit you if you want to change it later. For most 16" is a better choice. As far as manufacturers goes I'm not a fan of LWRC for the purposes you stated. I've owned several DD and generally liked them but by far I prefer BCM. They are my preferred brand with the exception of a precision type rifle in an AR.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I think because a lower can be considered a pistol, you have to be 21 to purchase one. When I lived in WA I couldn't buy a stripped lower from a gun store in Idaho for these exact reasons.
    I don't believe lowers can be considered anything other than a receiver on form 4473. However, you're right, "other/receiver" purchasers must be 21 to he purchased in many states.

The lower isn't anything until built into what the end user desires.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Actually it is closer to 1" since a 16" can use an A2 and a 14.5" would use an A2X.

You can always buy a complete lower (obviously would be registered as a rifle) and an upper separately and save a few buck on the full rifle cost excise tax.
    I don't think Washington has registrations.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    You are fine if it is a complete lower but as noted above not a stripped lower.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast