Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for general purpose carbine build? (14.5" or 16") (BCM vs DD vs LWRC etc)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
    Exactly, I have a bcm with a 14.5" pinned with a surefire mb556k and I love the combination. My next rifle will be the ddm4v7 slw.
    I have a 14.5 spike's/fn with a surefire brake and it's my favorite AR, super smooth and accurate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've always been a fan of 14.5 carbines. My favorite rifles have 14.5 barrels. I generally get the BCM Comp mod 1 and I've been super happy. Even with the pinned flash hider the slightly shorter length does make a difference in my opinion. I've got 16" barrels for different reasons/uses/applications. But the 14.5s are my favorite.

Feedback Score
    I bought a LE6920CK from Armslist for a song. I then discovered it was 14.5".
    I ended up free floating the barrel, and adding (pinned and welded) BCM Mod1 comp.
    Now it has an SSA-E trigger and is my favorite rifle.

Feedback Score
    I personally went with a BCM in the 14.5 pinned comp, I just liked the length in my issued rifle and went with what I was familiar and comfortable with. Damned nice weapon IMO. Standard trigger is definitely crunchy, but again, that's all I've ever shot with, so YMMV with upgrading that.

Feedback Score
    If you really dont want to build yourself, then CLE will build you a better upper than any ITT. Pop that on a KE Arms match lower and. Ow you have a better rifle cheaper with the upper built to your specs. I'd go 14.5in mid gas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Potss View Post
    If you really dont want to build yourself, then CLE will build you a better upper than any ITT. Pop that on a KE Arms match lower and. Ow you have a better rifle cheaper with the upper built to your specs. I'd go 14.5in mid gas.
    I've been reading this thread with some parallel interest. So I have to ask; who is "CLT" and "ITT" ?

Feedback Score
    CLE are Compass Lake Engineering, widely regarded as making the most accurate barrels you can put on an AR: http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...41e932722893a8 They also make great uppers with AGBs.

ITT is a forum abbreviation meaning "In This Thread."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Built a KISS upper using DD components and a 14.7" DD pencil barrel with FSB. Pinned A2.

One of my favorites, everyone who shoots it likes it.

Yes, it's only 1.5” difference, but combined with a light barrel profile and minimal accys it's a handy package.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I have a pair of DD V7's. Excellent for what you are talking about.
    I converted my v5 to a v7 by changing the rail. Also dropped in a Geisele SSA. Add a scope and offset red dot and it sounds like what you want. $1500 rifle. $220 trigger. Right at your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian
    IDPA #A22224
    Navy "Lifer" 23 years., the polar opposite of "Operator"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm probably in the minority but I am a fan of the 14.5" pinned AR. I have two at this point. There is a difference between the 14.5 and 16 inch uppers (however slight that might be) in maneuverability etc. The down side is obviously if you are a gear switcher or muzzle device switcher the pinned break or hider is problematic. If you like to find a specific setup and stick with it, your good. I am going through that right now, I have an upper at Rainier Arms getting a pinned break unpinned and replaced to standardize with my other carbine.

On the question of weather to buy or build... I would advocate build. I have gone down too many rabbit holes buying an AR only to replace half of its parts (not out of necessity mind you, more my likes/dislikes). I have gotten to the point that I just buy everything I want from the start (barrel, rail, trigger, individual parts) and build it or have it built how I want it from the beginning so I don't have to screw with it. If you shop around and exploit sales or discounts you will come out cheaper overall. what this "usually" works out to for me is I can build a similar version of a carbine that I am interested in cheap enough that I am able to get a RDS on it for a similar price to the original carbine only. YMMV.

As to BCM vs. DD... If I had to choose, BCM. But again, I prefer piecemeal building a carbine. For example, I like short throw ambi safeties. Neither BCM or DD to my knowledge offer that option. So I usually use an Aero Precision STS lower or Rainier Arms STS lower as the base for a build, I think BCM and DD both have great barrels, I happen to have BCM BFH 14.5" mid length gas barrels in both of my 14.5 carbines and they have been amazing, I have also used DD CHF barrels in other carbines in the past with no issues.
    Last edited by jp0319; 06-29-17 at 13:00.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast